The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
We are gonna change all that.
You must live in Arizona....

....Nothin wrong with givin a hardworkin man a job,,no matter what nationality he is....
Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpine View Post
You must live in Arizona....

....Nothin wrong with givin a hardworkin man a job,,no matter what nationality he is....
Nationality has nothing to do with it. If they are from Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, Somalia, CUBA or any where else and they are here ILLEGALLY, it is wrong and they should leave. And any company or individual or group of individuals that give them safe harbor, they or their representatives, should do prison time.
I am half native American, Cherokee, so don't give me that crap about my ancestors being immigrants. My European ancestors came to America in the 1880's, LEGALLY from Germany and Ireland and you can guess about my native American ancestors.
And you do know that most Mexicans consider the southwest USA to be theirs under USA occupation? My daughter is married to a man whom was born and raised in Mexico and came here LEGALLY and is now a naturalized citizen and he told me this is what he was taught in school.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.

Last edited by Big Bad Bob; 05-30-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Bibbee Lawn Care;3584354] I say, pay an American to do an Americans job! QUOTE]

I agree.

Americans have become too selfish and self centered over the last few decades. Today it's not about doing the right thing, but all about what benefits me and me only and who cares about what effects it has on other people, animals, the economy, whatever the case may be.

Dump toxic chemicals into a creek, ahh who cares if it kills the fish, I don't eat them anyway but I saved legal dump fees so that justifies it. Or in BP's case who cares about the safety of our workers, oil blowouts, the ocean environment, the livelihood of thousands of fisherman and the industries they support, BP saved millions for the shareholders. Except a blowout did happen and now it will cost them billions and all the damage they have done.

Some LCO's will hire an illegal in a heartbeat to save money over hiring a legal or god forbid an American. But these same LCO's will be the first to rail against unemployed Americans who start their own business using a pushmower out of the trunk of thier car or rickety trailer. Ohh those damn lowballers, they don't pay taxes, they don't have insurance, they don't have a business license, ect. Why your totally legit in your business except err ummm the help you hire, but we won't mention that will we? Maybe if you hired Americans they would not be your competition later, and they will spend the money here in this economy instead of it being sent back to Mexico.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

sorry that I hit a sore spot

I have 4 legit workers.

My issue is that I can't find legal day labors for the couple of times a week that I need the extra help. I am not ready to add another full time employee.

Where I live and work getting full time help is hard enough, getting part time legal workers is next to impossible.

I am more than willing to pay a fair wage for good workers ($120-145/day). Just can't find them in my neck of the woods.

All I was looking for was what is my exposure.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess you live on long island... anyone that wants to work wants $200+ daily.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Tough for me to justify $200/day to spread mulch and pull weeds from time to time
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Exactly, seems like most people/ even college kids would rather sit home than work for less.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsails View Post
I have 4 legit workers.

My issue is that I can't find legal day labors for the couple of times a week that I need the extra help. I am not ready to add another full time employee.

Where I live and work getting full time help is hard enough, getting part time legal workers is next to impossible.

I am more than willing to pay a fair wage for good workers ($120-145/day). Just can't find them in my neck of the woods.

All I was looking for was what is my exposure.
You have to run a job want ad in the paper the week before your scheduled jobs to get people to work irregular hours. No one is going to keep themselves available at all times to work till you need them, would you?

When you do these jobs running ads the week before is what you have to do all the time. Factor that in as a cost of doing business and either be willing to make less or raise your estimates to maintain your profit margin.

Sorry, there really is no other viable answer to your labor problem with workers for a as needed basis.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
You have to run a job want ad in the paper the week before your scheduled jobs to get people to work irregular hours. No one is going to keep themselves available at all times to work till you need them, would you?

When you do these jobs running ads the week before is what you have to do all the time. Factor that in as a cost of doing business and either be willing to make less or raise your estimates to maintain your profit margin.

Sorry, there really is no other viable answer to your labor problem with workers for a as needed basis.
In theory this is a great idea, but its not realistic. In my area, to run an ad just once in the classifieds in the weekly paper its $ 50.00, like rsails I only hire legit, legal workers full time, but if I need a day laborer here and there I'm not going to go play INS. I pay well but I'm not going to pay to loose my shirt. If I'm going to pay for a newspaper ad, and then pay the laborer, its the same as paying someone $ 200.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe a better way for me to ask the question:

Has anyone had any bad experience with hiring an illegal IE... with police, getting hurt on the job etc...

If so what was the outcome