Register free!

Old 07-14-2002, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Growing with needs

OK, so due to demand i am going to add sprinkler service to my clientel. I did a search in here and saw that another person asked where to start and got flamed. I am not some blow and go company. I recognize that learning and education are needed to do this. Where should i start? Where do i go for education and learning. I have read some books, but i need hands on learning. Preferably classroom or teaching. I have the mind and the will, just not the resource research knowledge in this area. I live in NW washington. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Please refrain from flammage, i am sincere.
Again, thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow. No offense here, but i am rather surprised that no one in the irrigation forum knows where to get knowledge to start in this field. No wonder i cant find a decent sprinkler guy in my town. LOL.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Acute Cut,

3 things.

This paticular forum is not read so much, that's one reason you have not received any responses until now.

The best way and the only way to learn right is to work for a contractor in your area.

I can't remember if it's OR. or WA, has a seperate class liscense for irrigation. Like me, a c-27 allows me to install irrigation here in CA. Some states have a seperate classification for irrigation.

Check your local state irrigation association. If you don't know one, check with an irrigation house. I think you have Horizon irrigation up your way(Vancouver,Spokane,Lakewood,Everett & Bellevue)

Hope this get's you started.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, thanks gusbuster. Ill check into it. I am about 2 hours north of belvue, so ill see what i can find. Appreciate the help.

Acute Cut
Old 07-16-2002, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Acute Cut, check this out; Irrigation Association .
Their annual conference was in San Antonio last year, so I went. Took several classes and received my CLIA designation. Hope to go to New Orleans this year to learn more. They do also sponser classes in different areas around the country. Maybe there's one close to you.
Randy
Old 07-16-2002, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This question has been answered many times before. Many of us are glad that you recognize the need for education in irrigation. That can be easily had as stated by others before me. It's ggod to start there before doing any work.

Unfortunately there are no apprenticeship programs for irrigation that I'm aware of. If you have a high level of general mechanical or apptitude the hands on construction, trouble shooting and service go much easier.

I still think it takes about 5 years in the business doing all kinds of installs and service under the supevision of a good owner and or foreman to make a knowledgeable irrigation person. The variety of stuff you can run into designing, installing and servicing is that great if you want to be an all around irrigation pro.

It is not like landscaping with no design or plant knowledge. In irrgation you must produce a working product that will keep a site properly green, not over or under done.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, i found some places to start with. The local BIG company has offered to let me work with one of his guys on everyother friday. He has 20 3 man crews, i am a one man operation, he isnt worried. lol.

I am also trying to find some dist. for sprinkler stuff in my area because i know they have classes sometimes too. The bad part is, i dont know many brands to start looking for. I do know some other ppl in the biz, so i am going to start asking around. The phone book doesnt have anything under sprinklers except the three ppl that do it. Not much help.

SO, that is where i am at. I am looking into WALP and IAA to see what i can do there. Not too many classes near me through them. And there are very few that could be taken by a beginner. Most are about pumps for pros, and design for the experienced pro, stuff like that. Ill try and keep ya updated. If anyone has any other tips or ideas, ill gladly still listen. Us newbies listen best because we know least. lol.

Thanks again guys.