Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying a Business

I am in the process of buying a Landscape management company. I am currently in the business, I have been for 18 years. Just want to get a little bigger. This company has been around for about 15 years. Last year they did a total of $340,000. They do 160,000 in Maint. 60,000 in Pesticide, fertilization. The rest in irrigation and landscaping. The price is $100,000 includes all equipment about $80,000 worth and four trucks. Owner is financing 20% down and the a monthly payments. Just wondering if anybody has bought a company just would like some feed back Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

saw it happen to a friend. he bought a company that included 30 full maintenance contracts truck trailer 2 60 zturns and hand tools. friend bought it for 50k he was told they grossed about 7 to 8k a month. saw the books everything was good until he took over at the end of the year. come to find out the contracts were up for renewal. he ended up loosing 15 of those customers. so just make sure contract carry through first year just my 0.02 cents take it as u want but i would want that
Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In customer service type of work anytime a new owner takes over the rule of thums is,
that you will loose about 50% of custoemrs.

the main thing is to do yoru research and find out if the company is soaked in debt, and if so is the owner willing to take that debt. most of the time. " NOT ALL "
they will get in very deep and then transfur all the debt to the new owner.

you may find a co. looks good then you find out there 2 to 3 hundred thousand in debt. THAN DOES TRANSFUR.

Best of luck