Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2002, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulching with a Hustler-Z

This is my first post and I want to say I'm glad I found this site. I've learned a lot from previous posts and have a much better appreciation for the challenges LCO's face.

My situation is this: mowing 5+ acres, some of it open, many trees, flower beds, a few hills. Currently using an Airens ZTR with 14hp B&S, 40" deck. I've beaten it to death and it's beaten me back. I need to upgrade to a commercial machine. After a lot of research, talking to dealers, etc. my choices are: (1) Hustler-Z, 60" 25hp; (2) Land Pride Accu-Z, 60" 23hp (25hp not available); (3) Exmark Lazer Z, 60" 25hp.

My problem is I'd like to mulch, but two different Hustler dealers don't want to sell a unit with a mulch kit. The Land Pride dealer is ok with mulching but I wonder if I'll need the other 2hp.

I'd appreciate any feedback from Hustler/Land Pride owners who mulch. Can they do it well? I've seen enough posts from Lazer owners to know they can. I prefer the Hustler's lower center of gravity, heavier frame and auto parking brake, but if it won't mulch well I may go with the Lazer.

Thanks for your comments.

Paul
Old 07-14-2002, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Hustler Super Z and it mulches great. I cut for a nursery and the grass in between the green houses gets pretty tall with all the water and fert. run off. I also cut this place every other week. So like I said the grass can get PRETTY tall. Anyway, it mulches that tall grass down to 2 1/2" with very little clumping and a little bogging down. I am very impressed with it. If you do get a Hustler get the Donadson air filter. It is well worth it.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure that my dealer will sell you a mulch kit, if you need his number just e-mail me and I will give you his number.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

P&J, thanks for the offer. I was a little unclear in my first post. The dealers I've talked to will sell me a mulch kit, they just don't recommend it, based on customer feedback. They aren't specific why, however.

Am I correct that I should go with a 25hp over a 23hp in order to mulch?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the 25 over the 23 regardless, the extra horse power makes a world of difference in mulching and side discharge. The hustler throws grass excellent and you might want to start without the mulching kit and decide later if you really need a mulching kit. When I bought my super z I was going to get the mulching kit the next week but after using my mower for a week I decided that there was no need for the mulching kit because of the way this mower discharges the grass (no clumps)
Old 07-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Millenium Member

I have a 25 Super Z and when the kit is installed I must mow slower and the cut is not as clean. The grass I mow is very thick which may contribute to the problem. I'm curious what will happen this fall when the leaves start falling.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 25hp super z and it mulches very good, except for a lot of blow out from the left front of the deck. i've ordered gator blades 2 weeks ago from my dealer and i have not received them yet. my dealer is 50 miles away so i have not had a chance to go up there. he told me he would deliver them to me. i have been told on this site that the gators will fix the blow out problem. i am using the factory blades that came on the machne when i bought it. does anyone else use gators on their hustler when they mulch? do they work good? is there anywhere else to buy them besides from my dealer? thanks.
www.hrbuyersandsellers.com
WE BUY HOUSES
Old 07-24-2002, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulching with a Hustler-Z

I had my dealer put a set of Gator mulching blades on my 60 inch Z. I've only cut a few times with them but the cut is excellent, and the clippings that come out the chute are very small and should mulch nicely. I think the cut is a little better than with the stock blades, but my stock blades were pretty nicked too.

Someone suggested a Donaldson Air filter - what are the advantages? and where do you find one?