Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2010, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn is all crab grass. sucks.

I just recently had my front and backyard graded and leveled, the back had a layer of topsoil put down and the front was just graded. no grass left. 1.3 months ago he threw seeds down, the back has 1 huge tree and more shade then the front. the front has no shade. 70% of the front is crab grass 30% grass. the back is a little better.

I just had a lawn guy that specializes in grass come. He said there isnt much u can do right now. He aerated, then slit seeded the entire front, and threw some stuff down in a spreader after, no idea what. the back he left and did nothing, he said he will return in 2 weeks or so to do something else, I dont know. He took a soil test too. Does this sound good? His company is very well known in my area for 30 years so I assume he knows his stuff. He said I also have Smart Weeds.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

#1 where do you live? #2 what type of grass? #3 did you do the watering? #4 Have you don'e your first cut yet? #5 was there any follow up fertilization to the seeding? #6 what am i doing on lawnsite @ 2:00 in the morning when i should be sleeping?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seeding a new lawn in the spring is going to lead to a weed infestation. Unless a product like Tupersan was used, and 30 days later used again, to prevent crabgrass in newly seeded ground, the crab is going to want to take over. As you are aware...

If the grass is estiblished enough a product like Drive herbicide can be used to kill the crabgrass, but it takes 2 or 3 applications. The front yard must have came in thin, the reason he overseeded again?

Spring seeded lawns just aren't going to do well the first year in general, at least not until it gets estiblished enough to be able to be sprayed to take out some of the weeds. Fertilize as needed, more than you would for an estiblished lawn. Sounds like the guy is on the right track? Yes your location would help, and pictures would be helpful too.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I am on Long Island, NY.

Im not sure the seed type that was thrown a little over a month ago. He threw starter fert and grass seed (the first landscaper who cleared woods out for me and graded and leveled my property, 1/2 acre total)

The front came in thin in a bunch of spots, with 70 crab grass in the other spots. There is no trees at all in the front so direct sunlight, which probably caused the excess crab grass in the front and not as much in the back because there is more shade in the back.

I will take some pics shortly and post. I was up at 2am because I have a 2 week old baby that my wife and I were trying to get back to sleep.

The guy now said since the front is bad he aerated and slit seeded. the paper work says Premium Park & Athletic Blend for the seed. he did the whole front and will come back end of spring to do something, then end of fall to do something else. I will send pics shortly. Thank you guys.

Oh and I watered with new underground sprinklers that the first guy put in. 3 times a day 8am, 130pm and 5:30 pm. 8 mins a zone.

Last edited by MrBrownThumb; 05-30-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like more information on what was done, and what applied. I suppose that was starter fertilizer after the slit seed. Fine. Crabgrass is a common problem when a poor lawn is renovated--thousands of crabgrass seeds are in the soil and when conditions are right--they sprout. Sunlight on the soil and no competition from thick grass makes it worse. The cool weather of fall is better in this situation. If crabgrass comes up--frost kills it. Mowing will kill some of the weeds--like smartweed. Weed killer can be applied to clean up the rest in about 6 to 8 weeks. Crabgrass is a little tougher and you cannot hit it real heavy when new seed is present. Crabgrass is going to be seriously heavy this summer, however frost will kill it. Fertilize heavy when night temps slow down the crabgrass, say when night temps hit about 40. This will stimulate your good grass--which may be almost invisible under the crabgrass. Seed through the dying crabgrass. Feed it again in 30 days and yet again in 30 days more. This will be ugly--just remember frost kills crabgrass. I would suggest two crabgrass controls next spring, to be sure. About the date of the first mowing and 8 weeks later. Your lawn guy will have his own opinion of course. As will others on the forum.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is one pic I just took with my phone, I will get better ones shortly.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys here is a link to a bunch of pictures of my lawn, It was just aerated and slit seeded Saturday.

http://img64.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc0310dy.jpg

let me know what you think of the crab grass and weeds.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that's bad! Who seeded it, yourself or a "pro"? It looks like it was seeded
much too thin... Either that or if it was seeded properly it wasn't kept moist or fertilized.
Looks to me like, even if some of the new seed germinates it's going to be infested with crabgrass and sandburrs.
Your best hope may be cripple it along through early fall and then you can get a better seeding with
out the weed competition.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This same thing happened to me when I tried to seed one year at around this same time. You are gonna have to wait until fall.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."