Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl KombiMotor. Is it worth it?

I'm looking into possibly buying a Stihl KombiMotor with the trimmer, blower, and edger attachments. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with them. I would just like to know if it would be better in the long run to get the dedicated tools instead of getting them as attachments. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The Kombi-system is great for attachments you won't use everyday. However, I'd advise against getting one where the main use will be for trimming and edging duties. I'd buy a dedicated trimmer and edger just for the speed of not having to change out attachments.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love my Kombi, and I will put money on me swapping attachments to anyone putting up a current machine and grabbing another from rack and starting it up. I don't even shut off my Kombi when switching attachments. I suppose maybe you would look a tad bit more professional with a trimmer rack full of trimmers/edgers.

So that being said, I have 2 power heads and love them. I have the straight shaft edger, curved shaft edger, cultivator and trimmer. Everything fits in the toolbox mounted to my trailer out of the rain and locked when not in use. I have the KM130 which is the commercial version...plenty of power.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I love my Kombi, and I will put money on me swapping attachments to anyone putting up a current machine and grabbing another from rack and starting it up. I don't even shut off my Kombi when switching attachments. I suppose maybe you would look a tad bit more professional with a trimmer rack full of trimmers/edgers.

So that being said, I have 2 power heads and love them. I have the straight shaft edger, curved shaft edger, cultivator and trimmer. Everything fits in the toolbox mounted to my trailer out of the rain and locked when not in use. I have the KM130 which is the commercial version...plenty of power.
How do you like the cultivator? Would you compare it to a Mantis tiller?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have four or five power heads. Nice that in the morning I only have to put two on the truck and can run everything. If something happens to one of the heads just run everything on the other.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
How do you like the cultivator? Would you compare it to a Mantis tiller?
Its good for raised beds and roughing up the soil for shallow planting but it lacks the weight of the engine on the top of the blades so it relies on your down pressure. I like it for what I use it for and for me its better than a mantis because its easier to store.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had my KM 90 for a couple of years and love it. I have the hedge trimmer, chain saw, and string trimmer and an extra extension for getting to the tall hedges. It's a very dependable machine and I use mine 5 or 6 days a week.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was also wondering about the intended uses/differences between the curved and straight edger and which would be better for sidewalks instead of flower beds and such.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have two 110 power heads, the extension and quite a few attachments.....

Everything is great but the ##*?! gas caps.

I did buy an Echo dedicated hedge trimmer in addition to the Stihl attachment for the times I needed something more compact, because it was less money than the dedicated Stihl.

Last edited by Lawn Pawn; 05-30-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudlekw View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was also wondering about the intended uses/differences between the curved and straight edger and which would be better for sidewalks instead of flower beds and such.
I like both but I use the straight shaft more because it can be used on new edging.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."