Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2002, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

How to eliminate Burmuda Grass

Hello All!!!

I have in my backyard which is approx. 8500 sq. ft., Burmuda Grass that is slowely taking over all of the lawn. I would like to make the lawn all fescue/blue grass mix like it was 5 years ago.

The lawn gets sunlight from first thing in the morning until about 5:30 pm. I recently had an irrigation system installed front & back. I am in Kansas City.

I thought about spraying a grass killer on the entire lawn now and power raking as much up as I can the last week of August and re-seeding.

Is there any other way of doing this without killing myself to do this work? Any thoughts on what a LCO would charge to do this type of work?

Any comments would be welcomed and appriciated.

Thanks in advance,
Old 07-15-2002, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe your stated plan is the correct one - kill and then power rake to provide trenches for the seeds to sprout - except you really don't need to get the dead stuff up - it will create a mulch that will help keep the seeds damp. In the future, there are now grass killers that only attack the bermuda without hurting the fescue.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: How to eliminate Burmuda Grass

Quote:
Originally posted by nuklhd
Hello All!!!

I have in my backyard which is approx. 8500 sq. ft., Burmuda Grass that is slowely taking over all of the lawn. I would like to make the lawn all fescue/blue grass mix like it was 5 years ago.

The lawn gets sunlight from first thing in the morning until about 5:30 pm. I recently had an irrigation system installed front & back. I am in Kansas City.

I thought about spraying a grass killer on the entire lawn now and power raking as much up as I can the last week of August and re-seeding.

Is there any other way of doing this without killing myself to do this work? Any thoughts on what a LCO would charge to do this type of work?

Any comments would be welcomed and appriciated.

Thanks in advance,
Use a glyphosate like RoundUp to kill off the grass and any weeds! Wait a week before you overseed. I like to use a slit seed overseeder. This is a motorized tool that slits the ground, drops the seed into the slits and presses the seeds into the slit soil all in one operation. The more soil contact with the seeds the better the germination rate. Good luck.

jim
Old 07-15-2002, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You want a mixture of KB and fine fescue? Are you using fine fescue because it is more drought tolerant than KB? You don't have a shade problem from your discription unless there are trees in the yard. Or is that tall fescue? Do you want a 50/50 mix? Comments?

jim
Old 07-16-2002, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all...

I will wait until the first week of August and spray entire lawn with Roundup concentrate 1/2oz per per gallon per 1000sq. ft. I will water in a couple day later and most likely reapply second time the following week.

I will allow all grass and weeds to die thoroghly for two additional weeks and than mow relitively low and bag it all. After mowing I will iether see about renting a slit seeder or power rake and overseed with a bluegrass fine fescue mix? Add starter fertilizer and water several times a day until that hopefully beutiful weed free lawn comes in. FYI, there are no trees in my backyard any more thanks to this winters ice storm. wide open and full of sinshine.

Any comments on my plan are more than welcome and suggestions are appriciated.

P.S. I plan on core areating the fromt and overseeding at the same time, front yard is in pretty good shape I power raked and overseeded three years ago.

Thanks Again,
Mike
Old 07-17-2002, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with nuklhd. To get rid of Bermuda, you have to do a total kill. Here in Tennessee, we've experience a major invasion of the stuff over the last 6-7 years because of some unusually dry, hot summers killing off the fescues and the bermuda taking over because of there not being any competition.

I get Roundup at Lesco. I buy the dry packs and mix them double strength, i.e. 2 packets to 1 gallon of water in a Lesco back pack sprayer.

After killing, I wait about 10 days and go back and kill any green that remains. Then I let it go for about another 10 days. It sounds a little radical but it works. Lastly mow it really close and slit seed.

The only real drawback, other than the time involved, is that much of the ground is an open invitation to new weed infestation. Go ahead and plant your new grass in with any new weeds. Don't worry about it. In the spring, when the new grass is healthy and strong, hit the yard with a good weed & feed such as Lesco Momentum. If applied according to directions, it's awesome.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

if i were u i would check with the ag center in ur area. bermuda can several times of spraying to get a complete kill. runners are potential new plants. good luck.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer the cold-season grasses to the berumuda that is heading north, probably due to greater global temperature increases. I live in SE Kansas, not to far from KC really. Around here, if you don't water, bermuda is gonna infest soon.. At first I really wanted to get rid of it, to have one of those fine northern type lawns, well bermuda is almost imposible to eliminate.. but I've discovered my lawn is one of the only ones that the entire yard is completely filled with berumuda, so right now I've got one of the greenest lawns, without watering... so I welcome bermuda now, but for one thing it won't grow in my shade, and stripes descent, but not as good as fescue could, so I'm gonna invest in a nice reel mower... Also it's good at keeping weeds out and EXTREMELY hardy.

Anyways some advice about bermuda to help you in your quest.

1. Bermuda does not like shade... That's why it's probably on one side of your house, a sunny side. Plant some broad shade tree cover, and this will insure the bermuda stays away in the years to come. Also, mow your new grass tall, say 4.25", to keep any bermuda runners smothered and shaded and keep the fescue healthy.. I even read of one treatment involving UV filtered tarps to provide enough shade to keep the bermuda back. Never tried it, don't know, but sounds reasonable.
2.Bermuda lives in hell, well almost, bermuda has been known to send runner well below 4 ft... That runner has a chance of coming back if the round-up didn't get it.
3.It's hot in hell. Bermuda likes to move into areas where others can't survive, so be sure you keep your lawn well irrigated and healthy.
4.Bermuda seeds can stay around for 3 years or sometimes more... Bermuda passes it seeds through sprigs, the 3-pronged antennaes sticking up when it needs mowed. So try not to stir up seeds et'c laying the ground, for example don't till. Everyone that wants to get rid of bermuda tills, I don't know why... Also your doing a good thing by bagging the dead berumad. It will prevent seed spread... I suggest, if you don't already bag your lawn, bag bermuda susceptible areas for the next 5-6 years, just uintil you know the bermuda isn't coming back..

My only problem with bermuda now is: I can't keep it out of my beds, and it chokes plants in my beds!! Oh well, time to find some bermuda resistant plants...
Old 07-19-2002, 12:25 AM
Millenium Member

First I would re-check the Round-Up mix, I mix 4 ounces per gallon. Also use tracking dye to keep up with where you have sprayed, you can get it at Lesco.

If you kill the Bermuda you MUST make sure that you apply pre-emergents next spring before the ground gets warm and allows the bermuda seed that is on the ground now to start germinating. If you have any doubts that you can get the per-emergents down and get good coverage hire a professional to do it or you will be g your time.

Here is a photo of a lawn that I killed and reseeded with fescue. It's been 3 years and not one blade of bermuda has re-appeared, pre-m's are the key.

Killed bermuda:
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2002, 12:26 AM
Millenium Member

New lawn seeded at 10 pounds per k:
Attached Images