Register free!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Artificial turf questions

A local school by me had this field installed no more than 3 years ago. The seams are pretty evident everywhere, the bases, homeplate and pitchers mound where white, separate pieces, built in to " infield "

The seams at the bases did not last, lifted, came apart very quickly.

Now they have " real " bases that are installed for games.

Is it normal for the seams to be so visible, some you can fit your hand where they are coming apart.

I am looking to expand into artificial turf, but am concerned with the equipment for artificial sucking up parts of the fields!!!

pics to follow
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

some of my other pics do not want to load, i will try again later
Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pics

one more picture, but not the ones i wanted to show
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting field. I have never seen a baseball field built into a soccer field. Usually we see soccer, football, lacrosse, etc in a multi-use situation. Baseball fields are tough in artificial due to the slide zones and batters boxes receiving so much wear. These areas need to be de-copmacted on a regular basis with a spring tine type groomer.

Concerning seams.....NO! they should absolutely not be coming apart or visible. Sometimes seams are slightly visible on a field and that is unavoidable to some extent. Most artificial turf manufactures and installers offer a five year or longer warranty against seam separation. I would be interested to find out who installed the field. I rarely see seams coming apart on fields other than a spot here and there. The installers typically take care of those as part of the warranty.

As far as the equipment sucking up the turf. None of the machines on the market use a vacuuming action in the sense of sucking material off of the surface. A rotating soft bristle brush throws the material onto a seive which shakes the infill back into the turf and collects the debris. The bristles are no more damaging than a grooming brush. The direction of travel is always made parallel to the seams in the event that some seams are not crrectly installed as seems to be the case with the field in your pics.

We have hundreds of pieces of equipment in this market and have never had a seam ripped up by proper or improper operation. If used with the intent of damaging a field, it could happen though. If the seams are already coming apart, you would not want to run a spring tine de-compacting groomer across the seams, however a grooming brush or surface cleaner would be OK.

If you youtube verti-top or search redexim on this forum, you can see some machines in action and get feedback from end users. Best of Luck! I would be careful of doing too much to a field like you have described. They need to check their warranty in my opinion. Any reputable company will take responsibilty for that type of work unless the field was used improperly in some way.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This school has softball and baseball fields built in. The seams are not as bad as last season, but are still not all that great.

I do not know who installed the field, but there is another brand new field in town that is more football, soccer, field hockey.

This field has a much shorter " grass " than the field in the pics, i would think because of baseball being played on it, but just a guess.

I need to go and take some more pictures of the wear aeras on the baseball one, my pics wont load, so i need to take some new ones.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjetskier View Post
This field has a much shorter " grass " than the field in the pics, i would think because of baseball being played on it, but just a guess.

This could be due to having more infill and that will also help with the seams issue
Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

What type of infill does your field have, all crumb rubber or sand and crumb rubber.

Do you notice different levels in areas of high traffic versus low traffic areas.

Below is a link to a video of the Verti-top 1500 with vacuum attachment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnJxfHogYL0
Most units do not have a vacuum, it is an option on this unit.

I would think you might need to address compaction of the infill as well.

http://redeximturfproducts.com/