Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

36" Walk Behind Input

So I've moved to a new home and the lot, about one acre, just takes longer than I'm willing with my ancient 21" pre-Briggs cast deck Toro.

I'm thinking of buying a 36" belt-drive Scag w/ 16hp Kawasaki. I've visited one dealer and was quoted a price of about $3.5K including the mulch kit. I know that a Scag is probably overkill for what I need and that I could do just fine with an equivalent Bobcat but I tend to like overkill. I figure that with my level of usage that a Scag will last basically forever with standard preventative maintenance.

However, any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would also be interested on the better 36"

Leftnose, are you considering buying used? I'm sure there are may be some good deals on your local www.craigslist.org
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_cut View Post
I would also be interested on the better 36" ...
Yeah, you should consider a Quick 44" Dually for the same amount of money !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftnose View Post
So I've moved to a new home and the lot, about one acre, just takes longer than I'm willing with my ancient 21" pre-Briggs cast deck Toro.

I'm thinking of buying a 36" belt-drive Scag w/ 16hp Kawasaki. I've visited one dealer and was quoted a price of about $3.5K including the mulch kit. I know that a Scag is probably overkill for what I need and that I could do just fine with an equivalent Bobcat but I tend to like overkill. I figure that with my level of usage that a Scag will last basically forever with standard preventative maintenance.

However, any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
I've got both scag & bobcat walkbehinds as well as exmark, to be honest bobcat in my expierence is just as good as the others. It's much more reasonably priced as well. I'm not sure if you've ever used a commercial walkbehind before but you may want to try to get a demo of a scag and a bobcat, see which you're more comfortable with. Also, be prepared to have to muscle it from time to time.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Scag WB that is belt-driven. As a homeowner you are going to be using this mower once a week. I have found that with a belt-drive it doesn't take much for your hands to start hurting from squeezing the pistol grips. I do not know what your property looks like, but if you think you will be needing reverse a good bit, I would second guess a belt-drive as it is reverse "Assist" except the "Assist" part of it doesn't work if you are backing up on any kind of hill, and you are yanking a 450 lb. machine around. Trust me, it can get old. If you have the money and want one of the best mowers, go with a Scag. As a homeowner, you would probably like Bobcat or any other equivalent brand.

If I were you, I would check out the Snapper Pro SW20. It is a full hydro machine, and a floating deck that is easy to adjust the height. With the Scag you have to take the front casters off and adjust the amount of shims below and above the fork. Just something to think about. The Snapper Pro starts out at $3999 and would be perfect for you. Might be a little over what you want to pay. I would demo a belt-drive and a hydro if you could. There is a difference.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, I got a deal on my Scag at the end of last year. It is a 2005 with the 15 HP Kohler. I only paid $800 for mine and it runs all day and night and I have made a lot of money with it. Scag and most other manufacturers have a good warranty for homeowners so that is something to think about.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
If I were you, I would check out the Snapper Pro SW20. It is a full hydro machine, and a floating deck that is easy to adjust the height. With the Scag you have to take the front casters off and adjust the amount of shims below and above the fork. Just something to think about. The Snapper Pro starts out at $3999 and would be perfect for you. Might be a little over what you want to pay. I would demo a belt-drive and a hydro if you could. There is a difference.
I second the Snapper Pro....it seems pretty solid and deck adjustment is nice and grease point easy to get to.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Believe me or not but if it is an easy not real steep property for the money you cannot beat a Craftsman lawn tractor.I am not kidding.I do some mower repair as a sideline and for the money especially if you get it on sale a 42" lawn tractor does a nice job.Parts availability is very good and generally there is a complete parts breakdown in the owners manual.Like I said if it is not beat on it will last with normal maintenance and if you wreck it after 4 or 5 yrs ,no big deal you would have gotten your money out of it and you can buy another new one at a reasonable price.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
I have a 36" Scag WB that is belt-driven. As a homeowner you are going to be using this mower once a week. I have found that with a belt-drive it doesn't take much for your hands to start hurting from squeezing the pistol grips. I do not know what your property looks like, but if you think you will be needing reverse a good bit, I would second guess a belt-drive as it is reverse "Assist" except the "Assist" part of it doesn't work if you are backing up on any kind of hill, and you are yanking a 450 lb. machine around. Trust me, it can get old. If you have the money and want one of the best mowers, go with a Scag. As a homeowner, you would probably like Bobcat or any other equivalent brand.

also keep in mind though that if the professionals can use these belt driven, reverse assist, pistol grip 450 lb. machines all day long 5 days week a homeowner can easily use one once a week for an hour or however long it would take you to mow.

i personally don't care for the gear driven (belt drive) as well as the hydro but when i first started my business it's what i used day in day out and it wasn't all that bad. i can tell you my hands have never hurt from using the pistol grip, it's not the greatest when things are damp or wet from dew or rain but since your homeowner you might be able to avoid mowing in damp or wet conditions and you can easily reverse the mower without using the reverse assist feature in the first place.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
Believe me or not but if it is an easy not real steep property for the money you cannot beat a Craftsman lawn tractor. ...
Well OK ... I choose not to believe you !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB