Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

How to set job rates

I am trying to start my own buisness. I am wondering how to estimate bids for various landscaping and mowing jobs. Also I am wondering how to set my mowing rates. Any help would be grateful. Thank you

Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you mowing? Commercial or Residential? First of all make sure you get all your licensing and insurance so then you are legit and then when you get your first call for a quote go and walk the property and see what the estimated size of the property is, for instance have a set price for an 1/4 acre and then 1/2 you get the idea. Now for the price, thats up to you. Obviously no one works for free, charge what you think you need to make in order to make a profit and cover your wear and tear on your equipment. For me I charge about 65$ for an acre, but im rasing it up to 75$ because as you get bigger your expenses get higher. 30$ and up for a normal city lot. I screwed my self in the beginning and gave a guy a quote for 45$ for an 1.14 acre lot. Its ok, it got me an additional 6 customers because he told everyone he knew that I did good work at a good price. But in the beginning you can't be trying to strike it rich on your first customers, hard work for less money than your competition when your starting out is the only way your going to land customers.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I am mowing both commercial and residential. There are alot of mowing companies where I am located. I know I dont want to lowball them, but I also want to be able to get the customers.