Register free!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

It gets confusing. When he wrote the contract, he used someone else's number on the contract. He showed up to give me the written estimate, brought the men workers to my home in a company truck every day, handled every aspect of the patio contract from ordering the pavers to even saying "my company", and he was even telling his workers what to do, and how he wanted it done, and then collected the money. When the patio sunk in, he said the company he "worked for" closed down and that he was just a salesman for the company. He has since started another company with a family member and named it so strikingly similar to the other company that other people have thought the first company just moved. He is now doing work under that company name and number, and the state is doing everything they can to figure this out. Also, just as there are for Social Security Disability cases waiting to be heard in court, complaints through the DLLR are backlogged just as bad. In the meantime, I am out thousands of dollars, can't use the patio or stairs, and this guy is still doing work under that company name and his own license number (or maybe somebody elses - who knows), and even advertises that this company has been in business for 25 years!!! He plays with words and wording. The state immediately got involved and have helped tremendously, but there just aren't enough investigators and lawyers to do the paperwork, to oversee the hearings and then to take it to trial. Oh, I am assured that I will get some satisfaction, it is just the turn around time that kills a homeowner when they have paid thousands for something and then the work wasn't done correctly. Does this happen often when a bad contractor does horrible work, and then he shuts down the company, renames it, and does work under someone else's license number? I just didn't do my homework -- one day he will have to answer for this, and I will be there with a smirk on my face when they take his license, hopefully, if they haven't already. The DLLR immediately intervened, it is just the waiting period for a hearing date or mediation date, and in the meantime I can't have people over to use my pool.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If your ever going to have it fixed, just do it. Even if he does get brought to justice youll never see a nickle.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs down What happened here:

To: 4 seasons lawn&land

I am glad I am an optimist. The pessimist is half-licked before he starts. The optimist has won half the battle, the most important half that applies to himself, when he begins his approach to a subject with the proper mental attitude. The optimist may not understand, or if he understands he may not agree with, prevailing ideas; but he believes, yes, knows, that in the long run and in due course there will prevail whatever is right and best. Thomas A. Buckner

Last edited by Sarge2914; 06-14-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: sent to wrong person's name
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, payin ta-do a patio twice is quite a prevail

I was at a supplier today and one of the guys there was telling me about another contractor who did sub-par work. The client sued the unlicensed contractor and won. The client is a business owner and made it clear that he sued solely out of principle. The judge threw the book at the contractor for not being licensed. And the supplier said.....the sub-par contractor has started buyin materials again. So I guess he didnt miss a beat......

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 06-14-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2914 View Post
To: 4 seasons lawn&land

I am glad I am an optimist. The pessimist is half-licked before he starts. The optimist has won half the battle, the most important half that applies to himself, when he begins his approach to a subject with the proper mental attitude. The optimist may not understand, or if he understands he may not agree with, prevailing ideas; but he believes, yes, knows, that in the long run and in due course there will prevail whatever is right and best. Thomas A. Buckner

Ok then, another option. Have it redone and when you win you can pocket the money. At least you will be able to use your living space and not stare at a mess outside your door. And then if you dont get your money back it wasnt a year or whatever wasted with leaving the first job there.

Imsure you can win. Its just getting the money that is rare.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Member

What happened here:

I agree with the other guy -- it is the principle of the whole matter. The guy who did my patio brags that he has never had a complaint FILED AGAINST HIM, never had any marks on his license, and never had to go to court. I want to be his first. With the way my patio looks, I can't be the first one who had a problem with his work, but it appears that I am the first who stood up for may be the first to file a complaint. I may be the first to take my complaint to fruition. Thank God for the Maryland DLLR. They did get involved right away, have talked to the contractor, have written HIM letters, and have gotten involved and made their presence and involvement known to the contractor. Now he does[U] have a complaint on file which shows on his license if someone were to take the time to look at his record before they hire him.

It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character.
Dale Turner
Old 06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it looks to me that the class 5 under the sand (if there is any) was not compacted causing it to sink.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 06-16-2010, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

What happened here?

What is Class 5? I don't think he compacted anything. Thanks for your "diagnosis".
Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

class 5 is a gravel. like a gravel road. its underneath the sand and it needs to be compact with motorized tamper!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

They never used a motorized tamper of any kind. I questioned this myself. There were a lot of steps that were missed from what I have found out. Thanks for your input.