Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Walk Behind Transmission Problem

I have a Scag 36" Walk Behind that I bought a few months ago. Its my first walk behind and its been great so far. Yesterday the gasket at the bottom of the fuel tank started leaking badly and the transmission was soaked in gas by the time I got the tank off. Today the transmission was leaking oil/grease by the shaft bad enough to have a good bit on the frame. Showed it to a mechanic and he said it should be fine, but I dunno has me worried. Was it caused, by the gas, or is my transmission going out? I dont know, any advice would be appreciated.

6x12 Trailer with side and back gate

52" Scag wb w/ velkie

36" Scag wb w/ velkie

Toro 21"

Sthil Handhelds

Echo Backpack Blower
Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Bump. Please any info would be appreciated

52" Scag wb w/ velkie

36" Scag wb w/ velkie

Toro 21"

Sthil Handhelds

Echo Backpack Blower
Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would worry too much. That Transmission has been used for years. Even if it goes bad it not that money.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my scag trans has lots of gease build-up around the shaft and under the sleeve..you sure it isn't just that build-up that got broke down by the gas and not really coming out of trans? I don't really think it would leak because of gas on it..but could be wrong. Suppose could have gotton into trans thru vent and dilluted it down inside..but not likely. Go as if nothing happened..replace down the road if need be.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just replace the compressed rubber part (I can't think of what it is called, but it isn't exactly a gasket, maybe a grommet) that goes in the bottom of the tank, and replace the fuel shut-off valve (if it is the metal kind that goes right into the tank) and you're done.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ray View Post
Just replace the compressed rubber part (I can't think of what it is called, but it isn't exactly a gasket, maybe a grommet) that goes in the bottom of the tank, and replace the fuel shut-off valve (if it is the metal kind that goes right into the tank) and you're done.
Yeah I did that. $10 part and 10 second fix. Shut off valve was fine, just replaced the grommet. Just leaked alot of fuel out before I could get the tank off. Doesnt seem to be a buildup, like its actually coming out of the trans. Dont know if the gas had anything to do with it, was maybe thinking it got inside and dilluted it somehow.

52" Scag wb w/ velkie

36" Scag wb w/ velkie

Toro 21"

Sthil Handhelds

Echo Backpack Blower
Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had my Scag for about 9 years. A few years ago the grease started pouring out just as you described. Worried the hell out of me. However, I have yet to have any sort of problem with the transmission, so don't lose sleep over it.