Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

On site gas?

Does anyone have gas tanks at their shop? I am looking into that option to try to save time at the gas stations each morning. I am also looking into buying bulk to mix large quantities of mix. Filling those 2 gal cans kill us for time each day. It would be nice to have it all onsite so the guys dont have to waste time at the gas station each morning.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a tank at my shop. The guys fill up every evening when they get back.......They want to get home so its less BS. 500 gallon tank. Real nice to have it, the labor at the gas station was killing me. They pin the trailers and go in the am. I have a electric pump with a gauge so I can mix fuel. I hard wired it into the building so you can use it unless the timer is on inside.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm fixing to mount a 15 gallon gravity fed tanks on my landscaping trailer. Northern Tool has them for $99. You could mount two side be side and fill the mowers from the trailer. 30 gallons isn't really bulk but it would be nice to have on the trailer sitting beside the mowers.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have three 500 gallon tanks one for gas, one on road and one off road diesel they sure are handy, two are mine and one is the fuel companies.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. I am looking at just one for gas right now. I know it will save me money. Labor for guys sitting at the gas station is killing me. The gas company said they will give it to me at no charge! Now I just have to see how & where it will sit at my shop.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in an onsite tank too. I want to know more about proper venting and grounding. Any websites selling products?
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINKY1902 View Post
I'm fixing to mount a 15 gallon gravity fed tanks on my landscaping trailer. Northern Tool has them for $99. You could mount two side be side and fill the mowers from the trailer. 30 gallons isn't really bulk but it would be nice to have on the trailer sitting beside the mowers.
Just a heads up. The D.O.T. thinks differently. Might want to check the rules covering Materials of Trade restrictions. It limits how much fuel you can haul. Looks like we are limited to 8 gals.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just don't want to see you go through all the work to purchase and install this and then get hit with serious a fine.

Dan
Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
i have three 500 gallon tanks one for gas, one on road and one off road diesel they sure are handy, two are mine and one is the fuel companies.
Just curious, what kind of discount do you get if you order 1500 gallons at a time to be delivered? Is it a % or a set amount each re-order? btw, has your fuel supplier also told you the more you order, the bigger the discount? Thanks!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 100 gal tank in my truck that I fill from every morning, then when we need fuel during the day we can just pull up to the truck. Every couple nights I take it to the gas station and fill it up. Local regulations would not allow us to have a tank at our shop.