Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2002, 03:39 PM
Banned

Hedge trimming delima

I have a problem with a client with some fairly large hedges. lets see..... their about 4 1/2 - 5 ft deep. pry a good 25 foot long and maybe 3 1/2 ft high. the problem is that i need to get the hedges 3-4 inches away from the house in the back. their currently rubbing against the house. now because of the depth of the hedges i can not reach the back. i thought about using 2 ladders and a pick like what is used for siding. the only problem is that on the left side of the hedges is a tree that would make that impossible. she asked me about this and i was honest and told her i was dumfounded on how to do it. but i said i would do my homework and figure out the best way to get this done for her. any input would be greatly appreciated on this, as i said im at a lost here as what i can do. i know it can be done, just gotta be creative. let me know if i need to add any additional info on this. thank you greatly.

Shep
Old 07-16-2002, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i use stihl hl75 shaft trimmer a 59" shaft and articulating blade tilted about 70 degrees
Old 07-16-2002, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the ticket.....

Extended reach trimmers with articulating cutting head.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Problem Solved..

Take 8-10 inches off.. and squeeze behind 'em.

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com

Last edited by Lawn-Scapes; 07-16-2002 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Addict

I was trimming holly bushes today with Stihl 45. Had to get them off of the house, so I trimmed about 12 to 18 inches away from the house,squeezed in there, trimmed some more, squeeze, trim.....finally made it out. Trimming hollies really hurts the skin. Then I had a time trying to get in there to blow them out.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have extended sheers they will work nice. If not work your way behind them and cut them. 3-4" you will be cutting them again, next week. I would go a little bit more. What kind of plants are they? And hey from a sales stand point. If you have her believing that it will be a hard job(charge )
Old 07-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Banned

great input! !

thanks a million for all the input. i asked my client about maybe taking enough off so i could squeeze in there and go that route. she indicated that she only wanted about 3-4 inches taken off. but the pole trimmer with a hedge head on it sounds like a great idea! i seen those b4. i just wasnt thinking i guess ... lol i have a pole pruner with a chainsaw head on it. do you guys think that would work? if not, where could i rent a pole hedge trimmer from?
again, thank you greatly everyone!

Shep :blob4:
Old 07-16-2002, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can find the trunks of two plants you can squeeze through them. The branches will go back in place, just do it carefully. I was on a job one time and there were huge bed of Eleagnus probably 30 feet wide, and I just worked my through them. I would not rent a peice of equipment$$$. Regular sheers will work fine. That is my 2
Old 07-16-2002, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

That would be impossible to trim hedge 3-4" away from the house because the hedge trimmer must be at least 8" tall and add a couple of inches for clearance from the house so the trimmer motor would not rub against the house. So the only option is to go with shaft trimmer, preferally Stihl.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Start at one end squeeze thru trimming away you may get a few scratches but should be a no-brainer. Its not gonna matter what it looks like nobody can see it back there anyway. Or, if you have a real(30 in minimum) trimmer and have a real (over 6 ft with a 36 sleeve) man do the work the hedges are short enough to just reach over and walk along cutting the backs.