Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Which Stihl Kombi Powerhead to Buy?

Hello everyone , first time poster but have been lurking for awhile. I am a homeowner with 5 acres of either lawn or wooded areas am looking to purchase the Stihl Kombi-System and am having a tough time deciding which powerhead to purchase. It will be either the km-90. km-110 or km-130 I am listing the attachments i am going to purchase in the order of expected most use.

1. Straight string trimmer (60%)
2. Adjustable Hedge trimmer (15%)
3. Power Sweep (15%)
4. Blower (5%)
5. Pole pruner (5%)
6. Curved shaft trimmer (for wife to maybe use)

Is the km-130 too much over-kill for my uses? It is only 3 oz. heavier then the 90 or 110. Is the 130 louder then the 110 and 90? How can the 90 and 110 both weigh the same? (9.9 lbs.)

Any help would be appreciated along with other recommendations. I have looked at the Echo and Husqvarna systems also. By the way this has beena great forum to gather information. Eric
Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the KM 90 and for your intended use it will be fine. I only have about eight yards (had to thin down the list because of college) and for what you intend to do it will be fine. The 110 may be a better option since you have a larger acreage but the 130 in my opinion is overkill. As for the loudness, you and your wife should be wearing hearing protection anyway. The KM 90 isn't bad but I still highly recommend hearing protection.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993lx172 View Post
I have the KM 90 and for your intended use it will be fine. I only have about eight yards (had to thin down the list because of college) and for what you intend to do it will be fine. The 110 may be a better option since you have a larger acreage but the 130 in my opinion is overkill. As for the loudness, you and your wife should be wearing hearing protection anyway. The KM 90 isn't bad but I still highly recommend hearing protection.
thanks for the comments. How long have you had the KM 90 and are you happy with it? Are you glad you purchased the articulating hedge trimmer rather than the straight one. I was just curious if the larger the engine is the noise louder. Eric
Old 06-04-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 110, the vibration is terrible on it. The best advice I could give is to see if they will let you and your wife try one out for a day. I even went and tried another one ( this time a 90) to see if it was just mine but apparently not. My attachments didn't want to click in after the second day I used it. I have to say I wish I would've went Echo. I have a $500 dollar Stihl trimmer and a $ 290 Echo trimmer and I grab the Echo every time unless it's out of line or something. I would have to suggest the Echo 230 series powerhead. It will be better on fuel, less vibration, and enough power for what you need. Plus, it costs less than the stihl. Just my opinion, if you were using it for a living and had to have a load of power on some jobs I would go with the Stihl, any other time I would go with that 230 Echo series. My 110 Stihl uses right at twice what my Echo uses in gas. I know the 110 Stihl has more power, but I have not run into a situation where my Echo wasn't stout enough. I think for your situation Echo would be the way to go. The Stihl homeowner powerhead would also probably have sufficient power and less vibration. I'm just saying that I wouldn't put up with the Stihl if I didn't have to use it for a living. If I was a homeowner I would want something quiet, comfortable to use, and good on gas. Hope this helps, and I really think you should run one for a while before you buy.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might try searching Stihl vibration, there was a thread on this issue the other day about the new trimmers and vibration on the combi motors.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajer View Post
thanks for the comments. How long have you had the KM 90 and are you happy with it? Are you glad you purchased the articulating hedge trimmer rather than the straight one. I was just curious if the larger the engine is the noise louder. Eric
I've had it since May 14th, so about a month and I'm really happy with it.

As for the articulating trimmer, Im happy with it. I don't have the one from Stihl though, the one I have is from Lowes that I bought when I had an old Ryobi power head given to me by a client of mine. But so far I couldn't be happier with it. With the straight trimmer you are really limiting what all you can do. With the articulating trimmer you don't have to hold the power head at shoulder level or higher to reach the top of taller bushes so it's more comfortable to use.

Tilt the bar down (when power head is level) and trim the sides of your smaller bushes or hold it so the bar is horizontal in the same position and trim the tops of the taller ones. Turn the attachment on it's side and tilt the bar so it's pointing up and hit the sides of the taller ones without having to be in the bush, or leave the attachment on a horizontal plane and tip the bar up and use it to cut back ornamental grasses. The uses and combinations are endless, You really have to use one to be able to find the best ways of using one for your operating style and they do weigh a bit more, but I would pick one over a rigid trimmer every time.

If you are trimming bushes at waist level I would recommend a using a shoulder strap to take some of the weight off, but anything over that take it off so you have full mobility.

'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
21"push mower/w bagger
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINKY1902 View Post
I have the 110, the vibration is terrible on it. The best advice I could give is to see if they will let you and your wife try one out for a day. I even went and tried another one ( this time a 90) to see if it was just mine but apparently not. My attachments didn't want to click in after the second day I used it. .
I have found that if you guide the drive shaft into the coupler (on the power head drive shaft) through the gap under the tightening knob with a small screwdriver or about a 3" piece of trimmer line it will connect right up. The problem I think is those two metal loops on either side of the hole that causes the shaft to not go in easily.

'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
21"push mower/w bagger
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah those loops are easy to get bent.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINKY1902 View Post
Yeah those loops are easy to get bent.
Would you recommend cutting them off? You know, just take the quick change off and cut them flush with my Dermal (sp?). Or bending them out a little? I think both of our problems might be solved that way but I don't want to screw up a $300 power head that I just bought about a month ago. I'm not using stihl attachments (long story and I don't feel like defending why I do again, no offense) so I have to guide some of them in but not others. It's something I considered when I first got it and had a little bit of trouble getting some of the shafts in but guiding them in isn't that big of a deal.

'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
21"push mower/w bagger
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was gonna try and bend them but I just keep playing with it for now. I'm getting tired of standing in people's yard trying to get it to go together. I'm gonna take it to the dealer when I get time because it's under warranty.