Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2010, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Paver Patio Estimate Question

I just submitted a bid on the installation of 12x24 paver patio. It is contoured on one side to a mulch bed that has a couple of curves and then is round on one end, comes back and ties into deck. Hopefully you get the picture from my description. My price was $2,390 including labor, fill material, rental of plate compactor and finsh grading around patio, because the grade will have to be changed a little because it is on a slope. Price did not include pavers. The customer thought this was too high, what do you guys think. I figured it at 4 days labor with 3 guys. I might be able to get it done in 3 days but I padded it a little just in case something did not go as planned. I would appreciate any info.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are definetely on the right track to going broke!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you do not have a tamper - then that tells me you're and your guys are not patio people.

Now we would get that patio done in 3 days, but this is what we do every day. We have no learning curve.

The numbers you shared equates to $600 / day. And you stated it includes fill material. Way too low.

What about the necessary geo-textile fabric? Along with all the other ingredients that comprise an interlocking pavement????

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

not to sound like a broken record but you are the reason that the hardscape industry is suffering. people that clearly dont know hardscapes are bidding them at stupid prices and killing the price. i just bid a $11,000 retaining wall yesterday and the homeowner tells me i am inline with several other bidders, but that he got a bid for $6,000 too. just stupid!
-cat 302.5
-dingo 425
-trailers and way to many employees
Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

3 guys @ 2 days = $2,200 (incl. payroll liabilities, overhead, etc.) + fill & other materials x 10% profit = a LOT more than you bid

Last edited by CALandscapes; 06-05-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since you already bid the job, if you get it it will be a learning experience. You won't make any money though, but hey that's one way to learn. I think you are at least $1500 too low, but it's hard to say without knowing more about the job. Things I consider when estimating are ,how much excavation is there, do I have to take the spoils with me, accessibility to the job with equipment and trucks ,just to name a few. Good luck in the future.

2005 Ford F-350 4x4 V-10
Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

To the guys with constructive criticism I appreciate it, to the guys that are just being dicks, well, there is just no reason to respond to you. I've built several patios, but have only been in business for myself for 2 years, so yeah I am still learning about the bidding process. That's why i'm on here to learn, not get a bunch of smartass comments. By the way I do own a hand tamp, but do not have enough hardscape work to go and buy a $1,000 plate compactor. Makes a lot more sense to rent one from time to time. So how do I bid a job like this, what factors do you look at? The job is 10 minutes from my house, I can buy all of the fill material close by, I will have to wheelbarrow all of the material in,about 25-30'. Aren't I better off to bid it to where I still make money? It may not be a homerun job, but it will be profitable. Anyways any HELPFUL info will be appreciated/
Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Being close to home helps and being able to buy fill close of course helps. Figure all your material costs, and tool rentals. Then consider how difficult the pattern is, are there a lot of cuts or can you lay it in such a way that you minimize the cuts. You have to use your best guess on how long it will take you and if you will be paying someone else to help you. One thing you might consider is finding someone to excavate for you, I did this on the job I'm doing right now. I don't own a skid steer or excavator either. I found a guy that would dig it and haul the stuff away for basically what I would have spent on rent. After you factor all that stuff in just add what you want to make. I completely understand wanting to bid a little lower to get work especially if you are new to this kind of work. It's dangerous though, say you do it for the price you quoted and they love it. Then they tell some friends and they want the same thing for of course the same price. It is tough to bump the price up then. For what you are describing I would not go any lower than $12 - $13 per sq ft, and thats if it a basic layout. Hope this helps a little.

2005 Ford F-350 4x4 V-10
Old 06-05-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not much for sharing basic business information, as yes, the *^#@ in me does believe that some things do go without saying, and if one can't grasp the baiscs on they're own - then they otta not be doin it.

But the nice guy in me is providing some things (in terms of materials) to account for:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf example.pdf (46.2 KB, 196 views)

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 06-05-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

port a pot?