Register free!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Question - Installing Bullnose Pool Coping

I have plenty of paver experience but this is my first installing pool coping. I am installing Belgard Pavers around a vinyl liner pool with steel walls along with a bullnose pool coping paver. The top of the pool steel wall has a pvc track that connects to the liner. This track causes the front edge to be higher than the back edge. (photo included) I will be pouring a 3 ft concrete base out from the pool dropped to allow for a sand base. I know to use the expansion joint between the row of coping and the pavers. I need some experienced advice for how to attach the coping and how to obtain level. I have seen posting stating use mortor, adhesive, thinset. I don't want these popping off later. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Use thinset mortar and a small level to guage your slope.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use modified thinset. Modified is a heavy mix for heavier items, like pavers.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.com
Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Mann View Post
We use modified thinset. Modified is a heavy mix for heavier items, like pavers.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.com
That is right, we use a modified thinset mortar. Have done at least 30 pools in last 3 yrs using that stuff. No problems up to now.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to drag this old thread back to life, bu I am doing a pool coming up pretty soon here, same as the one pictured above. I was also told a few different options, and just not sure which to go with.
All of them said to pour a 5,000 PSI concrete base all the way around about 12" off the edge of the pool, the bull nose is 12" in length and will have a 1" over hang, exactly as pictured above.
Now with the setting bed, one guy said use thinset mortar, one said just PL glue it down to the concrete or use an A/B apoxy glue.
What do you guys think, this thread is a few years old...so I was wondering what are some new installation techniques/methods. Any ideas and experiences are appreciated!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no new techniques.

just common sense.

First thing - you're in NY, so you wanna be proactive with what you do in regards to the winter heaving.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Brian we mortar them and put a mortar joint in between. You could PL but that concrete would have to be 100% perfect and i think mortar is stronger anyway. The romans didnt use PL
Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks DVS, very insightful as per usual.
Rj, yeah that's what another old timer mason from up here said to do, set it in a mortar bed and slick the joints...but the customer doesn't want mortared joints, just fit tight which I wasn't sure about either. The way I am leaning is using a two part A/B Epoxy to stick them down to the concrete, which will be perfect, form and poured. My supplier said these pieces will never move or come off with this epoxy, and it works the best for our immediate area. Just the epoxy is like $23 per 12 ounce tube.....and I need a box of 24! But it's my first one, I want to do it correctly and never have an issue.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB Hardscape View Post
Thanks DVS, very insightful as per usual.
Rj, yeah that's what another old timer mason from up here said to do, set it in a mortar bed and slick the joints...but the customer doesn't want mortared joints, just fit tight which I wasn't sure about either. The way I am leaning is using a two part A/B Epoxy to stick them down to the concrete, which will be perfect, form and poured. My supplier said these pieces will never move or come off with this epoxy, and it works the best for our immediate area. Just the epoxy is like $23 per 12 ounce tube.....and I need a box of 24! But it's my first one, I want to do it correctly and never have an issue.

Not all vinyl lined pools have the same framing. I'm around so many pools, I see them in my sleep. Often times the steel panels are rusted or they're starting to rust. Which is what I mean by "common sense". You have to see what you're working with and know what you're working with before you commit to your client. The pool job we started today - was thought to be steel framed. Nope. It's not. It's fiberglass. If the homeowner is not the one who had the pool built - then they may not even know what it's made of (steel, fiberglass, plywood). So my point is - being this is the internet - we must make sure to disclose all the possible surprises that could arise. Knowing what I know about pools - me, personally, I would never put a coping around a vinyl lined pool. Yes, I'm well aware that it's done. But vinyl lied pools really are not intended to have such copings.

Good luck, and I'd love to see pictures during and finished.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We do 80 liner change outs a year, build and renovate all types of pools.. I can't stand a vinyl pool with a true paver system.. Maybe they weren't installed correctly but they just never turn out well, always water problems, problems with the liner track..

But if I were goin to install pavers and coping on a vinyl pool I'd pour a cantilever deck and then install the renovation type pavers (1in thick) and coping.
Posted via Mobile Device