Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Kiek:
I am not a believer in Kitchen products for fungus control. Less costly of course. And...furthermore I am from far north of you--no personal experience with brown patch. It looks to me like Prostar(2 oz) and Heritage TL (use at 1 ounce per thousand sq ft) are the best fungicides for Brown Patch.
http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Diseases/Brown_Patch.aspx

Thiophanate-methyl, and iprodione(Chipco 26019) are also good and probably available at larger garden stores.
It appears the Cleary's 3336 (thiophanate-methyl) is the least costly,
http://www.turfnology.com/ChempricesCOMPARE.pdf

Take the advice of plant pathologists for this disease. Try to irrigate only early in the morning. Water deep and only twice per week to avoid wetting the leaves more than necessary. Disease becomes active in humid weather when nighttime temps remain above 60 degrees. Fungus resistant tall fescue cultivars are a good bet.
Got to agree Riggle it does resemble BPatch more then it does Dspots. I just took a look at the link from NSCU then seached DSpots on NSCU and dollar spots seem to look smaller in diameter and a lot more greyish to almost white in color.
http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Diseases/Dollar_Spot.aspx

I've attached more pic's as of today.

As for the irrigating, thats how I got to where I'm at and a bit beyond my control, 10" of rain in March and June has been much of the same so far with the last tweek being 70% humidity, late evening showers and above 70 degrees for overnight lows.

What's your thought on Heritage G as its granular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Baking Soda is a curative Kirk. Those spots will be brown until they grow out or get repaired. However, after brown patch you will have to repair those spots if its a cool season non rhizome forming grass. Some fescues form rhizomes.
No offense Koester so please don't take it as such, I'm a bit old fashion and guess I always go by the old saying "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is". Not that I don't believe you or that it won't work I'd just feel better putting something down that was made specifically for fungus and leave the baking soda in the pinto beans to take care of the gas

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-06-2010, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

oops, forgot the pics.
Attached Images

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We'll guys I've found out why this keeps coming back every year now. As many times as I've posted about this no one has mentioned this I'm a bit surprised.

I've been told that once you have the fungus unless you treat it will stay dormant in the ground and come back every year when conditions are favorable.

So, me be on my way to Southern States tomorrow for the 4 oz bottle of Heritage and then I'll probably repeat in 14 days. Next spring I've been told to alternate the fungicide don't use the same one so I'll switch to the Prostar for preventive measure before it has a chance to start.

As for Heritage, .02 to .04 ounces per gallon my question here is there a beaker I can by or a simply way to measure this as I'm going to be using a 4 gallon back pack sprayer mixing 4 gallon at a time?

Hell Koester I might even put the baking soda down for kicks and giggles and an extra layer of protection now.
Honestly man, hope you didn't take offense to my not wanting to go that route? Thanks for the suggestion though; hope there's no hard feelings right?

Then God created Women
Old 06-07-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its all good here man. No hard feelings.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Check with your local pharmacy and ask for an oral syringe to measure 5 ml (1 tsp) or less.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZACK View Post
Check with your local pharmacy and ask for an oral syringe to measure 5 ml (1 tsp) or less.
Now that's a nice idea but does the syringe mease in CC or tenths of an ounce?

I need tenths of an ounce as the Heritage is .02 ounces per 1,000

Then God created Women
Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post

You should try:
http://www.unit-conversion.info/volume.html
and get with the metric system, as that's the only thing you'll find for smaller quantities.

0.02oz around 0.6mL
Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are using Heritage TL, you need a scale that weighs in tenths of an ounce. Heritage in a 4 oz bottle is a DF that must be dissolved in water. 2-4 gallons of water per 1000 sq ft if I remember correctly.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post

You can also get various size oral syringes (1, 3, 5, 10 ml, etc.) on line. With 1 ml syringes, you can measure to 0.05 ml if you need that small a volume. For 4 gallons, you can measure 2.4 ml with a 3 ml syringe. About $15 for 100 syringes, so cheap enough for single use so you don't cross contaminate, etc.

Bill
Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys, the Heritage just shipped so as per label mow a couple days before applying.

Mowing today, should be applying Friday and I still need to calibrate the sprayer and practice putting it down evenly before Friday.

Pretty much all I've ever had to do in the past is spot spray so wasn't a big deal.

As per measuring it out this time I'm going with this formula:

1 ounce into 128 ounces of water
this will be the concentrate and will do 5,000 SQ FT

backpack sprayer holds 4 gallon so 25 ounces per gallon or 100 ounces to 4 gallon which should do 4,000 SQ FT.

Easy and efficient

Then God created Women