Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

QUESTION - my lawn is suffering from this brown patch fungus - that along with the high heat/humidity in Atlanta, Ga (zip=30314) about 80-90% of my fescue lawn is tan/straw colored and the grass looks DEAD... it was nice & plush - deep green about 4" tall at its best but now im pretty sure its all dead or dying!!

I used one application of Spectracide Immunox Lawn Disease Control Granules so far - of course I didn't see any difference - they say it takes 2-3 applications but how do I know its working? what I am going to see... is there anyway to get the straw colored grass back to green or is it officially RIP and I just have to start over...? or should I just scalp the whole lawn - try to baby the remaining little bit of green grass and start over in the fall and reseed?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
QUESTION - my lawn is suffering from this brown patch fungus - that along with the high heat/humidity in Atlanta, Ga (zip=30314) about 80-90% of my fescue lawn is tan/straw colored and the grass looks DEAD... it was nice & plush - deep green about 4" tall at its best but now im pretty sure its all dead or dying!!

I used one application of Spectracide Immunox Lawn Disease Control Granules so far - of course I didn't see any difference - they say it takes 2-3 applications but how do I know its working? what I am going to see... is there anyway to get the straw colored grass back to green or is it officially RIP and I just have to start over...? or should I just scalp the whole lawn - try to baby the remaining little bit of green grass and start over in the fall and reseed?
Depends on how bad off it is and how long you've let it go. Can you post us some pics?

As for the Spectracide Immunox; might as well just sprayed water its not going to fight this kind of disease off.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 07-10-2010, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Kirk how is the lawn looking now? Man the dry weather and heat has mine looking awful. Glad the heritage worked for you. Do you think it is to late in the summer to put down on my lawn? Looks like it is past help. I need to get rid of what ever is plaqing my lawn. I will use heritage now if it will kill the fungus in the future. Or should i salvage what i got, reseed in fall and spray as soon as I see signs of fungus next year? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh1967 View Post
Kirk how is the lawn looking now? Man the dry weather and heat has mine looking awful. Glad the heritage worked for you. Do you think it is to late in the summer to put down on my lawn? Looks like it is past help. I need to get rid of what ever is plaqing my lawn. I will use heritage now if it will kill the fungus in the future. Or should i salvage what i got, reseed in fall and spray as soon as I see signs of fungus next year? Thanks.
Can't say without pic's

How long have you had the issue this year?

You won't kill the fungus, from what I understand you have to rotate the fungicides and keep applying it especially when the weather conditions are likely to activate the fungus.

I've learned a lot this year about fungus, next season will be a little less concerned about weed control a little more attention toward fungus prevention now that I have the basics.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

have you guys heard of using CORN MEAL and MILK as a preventative for BROWN PATCH... i hear a lot of you guys say thing about some other HIGH PRICED products but wanted to know if you've heard anything about using milk or cornmeal.... i also saw in another post someone mentioned BAKING SODA?

i wonder if these "home" remedies actually work.. they seem much cheaper than the Banner and Heritage and other PROFESSIONAL producuts out there...

this is the link i saw on UTUBE about milk and corn meal.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLtd4...eature=channel

what do you think?