Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Just questions

So i have a few basic questions.

1. What type of clothing do you wear in the hot summer months. The heat is already killing me. I wear jeans and a white t-shirt.

2. How many of you Mow, Edge, hedge, and weed whack for 30? I got this one customer who wants me to do all that for 30. His previous lawn maintenance guys. did all that for 30. His front yard is pretty small with lots of a few bushes and plants. He's getting his backyard finished to have 3 levels with shurbs and plants and was wondering if i should up my rate because of the amount of shrubs I would be hedging? I'm currently just doing his front yard for 15 hedging. edging, mowing, weed eating. His front is 20 by 20 or something rather small. I end up spending like 2 hours Should I drop him?

3. Which is better for residential walk behind or rider?

4. where do you put your grass clipping when your done with a client?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

uniforms, and we charge one price for mowing line trimming, blowing off drv and such. and a diffrent price for hedges.

useually you can get them in shape. " if needed " then add like 2.50 per visit. and this does NOT mean that you have to trim them each visit.

of corse other companys do thing diffrent than I do.

if your comfortable with it, then do it. if not then charge for it.
But I wouldn't advertise this way. one key factor in selling is to sell other services to your custoemrs.

Best of luck
Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

did i read that wrong or did you say you charge $15 for 2 hours of work?
2007 F-150 Boss's ride

6x12 landscaping trailer with:
2 bluebird aerators
1 bluebird power rake
2 toro 22" walk behinds
1 worldlawn 28" walk behind
1 wright stander 48"
2 stihl trimmers
2 husqvarna backpack blowers

1400 sq ft garage with tons of other misc equipment

Oh and my typing sucks because of that chick in the blue jersey and white shorts whats that ad for?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya lol 2 hours for 15 bucks? of course I would drop him.
Complete lawn care services
Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

You have to up it.I could not do all that for that lil and make a profit on him.I would try to get him In between 50 and 60 if you can just let him know you are not the last company I go thru it all the time people say my old lawn guy did this for so and so price and I let them I am a diff company here are my rates take it or leave it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear light weight "fishing" pants from basspro and a lightweiht synthetic shirt to wick away sweat. You could also wear a wide brim hat to keep the sun off, and don't forget the SUNSCREEN!

$15 for 2 hrs. is way low, but what is it that takes you 2 hrs? Also what do you mean by hedge? Trim the hedges? I usually do that separately from mowing and only a few times a year.

Look up threads for the mower types. ZTRs can be great for larger lawns, but a walk behind is useful for for hills and a 36" walk behind is great for gates. Again, use the search feature and you will find a lot of info.

I don't bag grass clippings, I don't really see the point, but you could put them at the road to be picked up by the city (if your city offers this), you could put them on your truck/trailer to tow away (I would charge extra for this though).

If there is anything else I can do to help, please ask me!

Again use the SEARCH feature and you will find tons of info!
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for posting.
Thanks clean cut for the clothing ideas.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&brenna View Post
So i have a few basic questions.

1. What type of clothing do you wear in the hot summer months. The heat is already killing me. I wear jeans and a white t-shirt.

2. How many of you Mow, Edge, hedge, and weed whack for 30? I got this one customer who wants me to do all that for 30. His previous lawn maintenance guys. did all that for 30. His front yard is pretty small with lots of a few bushes and plants. He's getting his backyard finished to have 3 levels with shurbs and plants and was wondering if i should up my rate because of the amount of shrubs I would be hedging? I'm currently just doing his front yard for 15 hedging. edging, mowing, weed eating. His front is 20 by 20 or something rather small. I end up spending like 2 hours Should I drop him?

3. Which is better for residential walk behind or rider?

4. where do you put your grass clipping when your done with a client?
1) Speedos, no shirt and flip flops. Sometimes in the buff, but still wear the flip flops, never know were the land minds are and I don't won't to step in the do-do. Just messing. Shorts, Company T-shirt and a good pair of hiking boots. For the most part, I only drink water during the summer.

2) Depends on how long it takes you too Mow, Edge, and string trim using the proper equipment for the job. I shoot for a dollar a minute. The hedge work, I just know from experience how long it will take me. I charge 2 dollars a minute to hedge and the clean up is free.

3) For commercial work, neither. But for starting out, you at least need a walk behind. Just shoot for smaller jobs until you can save up for a rider. I started out with a craftsman riding mower and a troy built push mower three years ago. Upgraded to an exmark ztr this year and still using the troy built push mower.

4) Back into the yard. Mulch it baby, mulch it.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Khaki shorts, company tee shirts, work boots.

Charge what you feel is reasonable. Make sure you give good value for the work you do. It's not just your time you are charging for, you too have overhead that has to be paid for. You are a company not his employee. You are providing tools, insurance, transportation, etc.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man you cant listen to people when they say "oh i know sum1 who will do it for 30". cuz if they really did....why arent they using that person??? most people who say that are cheapos. Definately dont trim the hedges included in your mow/trim/blow unless its like 1 small bush that u only have to do once a year and it takes u 5 mins. 2 hours should be making you at LEAST $80. and thats even low. if the mow/trim/blow takes u an hour u should be in the 40-50 range at least as well. just explain to him that if he doesnt understand your pricing or disagrees, then u cant do it. stick to ur guns. if he needs it done badly enough he will pay it. This is why people using push mowers and stuff cannot compete with the industires mainstream pricing because the equipment forces you to spend ALOT of extra time and work to complete a job. Not knocking you because we all start sumwhere...just explaining it to ya. a walkbehind mower would do it in 20 mins where as its taking a push to do it in an hour. see? so this forces u to spend alot more time working for very little pay because either way....the lawn is only worth $30 to cut no matter what your using or how long it takes u. good luck man and save up for a used WB..keep on mowin