Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
That is gross. If your employees are generating that much then they arent making 19 per hour. They are making more like 50 per hour for you. Your net profit might only be 350 per day but they are still generating 50 per hour.
Together, they are generating roughly $38 per hour. I'm giving a little bit of a rough estimate here. Give me a little time and I'll give exact details
Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnau View Post
Together, they are generating roughly $38 per hour. I'm giving a little bit of a rough estimate here. Give me a little time and I'll give exact details
I am not sure I am following you then. you said you gross 650-700 in an eight hour day. thats like 80-90 per hour divided by two is 40-45 dollars per man hour.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, here's the exact break down for this past week. This is personal stuff here!
Tuesday: 9.25 hours, gross income for mowing: $719
Wednesday: 9.5 hrs, gross income for mowing: $637
Thursday: 5.5 hrs (didn't start until noon rain delay): gross income from mowing: $441
Friday: 7.25 hrs, gross income from mowing: $607

Total gross income from mowing: $2404
Total hours: 31.5 X two employees @ $21 per hour together
Gas equals out to about $5 per hour
Workers comp, ss, unemployement: somewhere around 15% additional per hour
Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quick note, we worked hours on other landscape jobs in addition, but I'm not trying to figure that income out. I'm just trying to figure out there mowing income.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends on your overhead and what works for you. You might be netting $19 per hour per guy but as far as your gross income it really depends on your overhead and how much you want to make. I think what you are grossing is gonna be in the ballpark with most companies.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's 19 each.
Quote:
That is gross. If your employees are generating that much then they arent making 19 per hour. They are making more like 50 per hour for you. Your net profit might only be 350 per day but they are still generating 50 per hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I was hoping. There time will decrease. As summer comes
Quote:
It all depends on your overhead and what works for you. You might be netting $19 per hour per guy but as far as your gross income it really depends on your overhead and how much you want to make. I think what you are grossing is gonna be in the ballpark with most companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

23.60 per hour per man is what I calculated for this last week. My original calculation was for two weeks ago. This is after the extra 15% and 5$ per hour on fuel. So anyway does this fall in line with what I should expect?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. I was also a bit confused at first when you were talking about gross income and then were deducting their salaries and stuff. But overall I would say yes, that is a great start. I have around 45 properties with one helper this year and plan to gain about 15 more this season. Based on average income per day and all, I would expect I would be Very close to those numbers if I had two workers mowing. Best of luck this year and keep us posted. =)
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnau View Post
Alright, here's the low down. For the last 6 years it's always been myself and one employee mowing lawns. It's always been profitable for me doing this, but the work load keeps increasing every year, and I can't keep up with everything else in a timely manner with me being a part of the mowing crew This year I've got it to where I have two employees handling the entire mowing route so that I can handle everything else (mulching, meeting customers, pruning, etc.etc.. After breaking down the gross income for a weeks mowing (about 62 residential lawns). Minus income plus 15% for social security, workers comp, and unemployement, minus about $5 per hour for fuel in mowers and trucks, my employees are generating about $325-350 per day additional gross income. Is this good, or should it be better? Granted, it's been wet, and it's been spring cuts, and there time should improve, but I'm just curious what some of the other lcos are shooting for out of their crews. I by myself am generating at least as much, if not twice as much on my own doing everything else. I know that's not bad, but as for the employees, are they generating a realistic revenue. Now, I know I'm not counting the hidden expenses such as truck payments, insurance, etc.
There are so many factors that go into making money there is no way to say how much a two-man crew should be making. Large commercial jobs, for example, generally will make more money quicker than smaller residential yards, especially if the yards are spaced out.

If your guys are doing the work you are asking them to do in a timely manner then that's all you can expect. Just get as many accounts as you can, price them well, find good workers, and the money will follow. No need to worry how much they're making per hour. that's really a pointless stat that will invariably change hourly/daily depending on what's going on.