Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Where did you get the sand from? I'm in Roswell and really need to do this to my front yard once I fix the damage done by Weed Man!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T56 Impala View Post
Where did you get the sand from? I'm in Roswell and really need to do this to my front yard once I fix the damage done by Weed Man!
Mulchman LLC off of hwy 140 in hickory flat. Should be a hop and skip from you if you are in roswell.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Not far at all! Thanks for the info. Quick question, how do you calculate the amount you need for top dressing? When my in ground system was installed, they left some pretty decent low spots around the perimeter of the yard. With all the work we have had do around here over the last 3 years, the whole yard is pretty beat up. (Landscaped the back yard TWICE. See http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=282579 )

Last edited by T56 Impala; 06-08-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T56 Impala View Post
Not far at all! Thanks for the info. Quick question, how do you calculate the amount you need for top dressing? When my in ground system was installed, they left some pretty decent low spots around the perimeter of the yard. With all the work we have had do around here over the last 3 years, the whole yard is pretty beat up. (Landscaped the back yard TWICE. See http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=282579 )
No problem... glad I could help you out. Do you know what the square footage of your lawn is? If so then... take the square footage of the area you want to cover and multiply by the depth of material you plan to spread on the lawn and divide by 324.

For example...
(4000 sq ft.) x (0.5") / 324
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.sandmantopdressing.com/

Also can look on Craigslist.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Chase,

What was your soil like beforehand? I'm sitting on a new subdivision (old pasture) and I'm looking at a lot of clay. I like the idea of river sand, as I already know where to get it locally.

I appreciate the pictures, and hope you'll post some progress shots as the dressing settles and your bermuda pushes through.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoles View Post
Chase,

What was your soil like beforehand? I'm sitting on a new subdivision (old pasture) and I'm looking at a lot of clay. I like the idea of river sand, as I already know where to get it locally.

I appreciate the pictures, and hope you'll post some progress shots as the dressing settles and your bermuda pushes through.
Red clay, probably some rock. I've had to dig a couple of landscaping beds around the house and it's either clay or rock. River sand is the way to for bermuda or zoysia. I mowed today for the first time (1 week since application of sand). I meant to get some pics today but forgot, hopefully I can get some tomorrow. I will definitely keep you and anyone else who wants to watch the progress up to date!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pictures. I live in West Texas and I have been contemplating topdressing my lawn using sand similar to what Chase has done.

I have a Bermuda lawn and mow with a Trimmer Reel. My yard is not too uneven but enough that in some places I get some scalped areas. Looking around on the internet I see that everyone is saying to topdress in Spring and/or Fall. Do you guys see any harm in doing this in the summer season? I see that Chase did his in early June.

Also, I am seeking any tips and advice that you guys can bring to the table.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerJohn View Post
Thanks for the pictures. I live in West Texas and I have been contemplating topdressing my lawn using sand similar to what Chase has done.

I have a Bermuda lawn and mow with a Trimmer Reel. My yard is not too uneven but enough that in some places I get some scalped areas. Looking around on the internet I see that everyone is saying to topdress in Spring and/or Fall. Do you guys see any harm in doing this in the summer season? I see that Chase did his in early June.

As long as the turf is growing vigorusly then topdressing a bermuda lawn with river sand will be just fine. You definitely DO NOT want to do it in the fall. Your turf won't have enough time to recover. Also, watch the weather... I had a couple of downpours after I got mine down. It washed some of my sand away and put me back at square one in a few areas. But in the flatter areas the sand stayed and the turf is very smooth! On the other hand you don't want to catch a summer drought... The perfect situation would be to get a few light rain showers.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerJohn View Post

Never topdress a warm season lawn in the fall...you will look at sand through the winter. Now if you are talking about compost have at it...topdress anytime.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."