Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Help me get started

I am new here and trying to get started. I have a couple of questions.
1. How do I compete with the lowball companies in the residential market?
2. How do I compete with the same in the small commercoal market?
3. How do I and is it profitiable to do work with foreclosure companies, and if so, I do I find them? anything any can or is willing to provide would be very much appreciated. David
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

To compete with the lowballers, you either have to cut their price (hurts everyone involved and the market in the area) or set yourself apart from them. Offer things they don't, do a better job, show up like discussed, sell yourself as a legit business, be a legit business.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't worry about low ballers. Don't worry about the big guys. Don't worry about the guys who appear to have everything under control.

The only thing you need to worry about is providing good value for the work you do. The rest will take care of it's self. Of course make sure you are properly licensed and insured. Be professional if you want to be a professional.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your starting you shouldn't even worry about commercial stuff right now. Just get some accounts and get to work.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

DBE022576. Said it best don't worry about low ballers if someone says well this guy quoted me this price tell them why you can't do it for that price take pics of the houses you do and show them how good of work you do you really have to sell yourself in this market
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuss View Post
DBE022576. Said it best don't worry about low ballers if someone says well this guy quoted me this price tell them why you can't do it for that price take pics of the houses you do and show them how good of work you do you really have to sell yourself in this market
Posted via Mobile Device
thats awesome advice. i had 2 people literally shutting the door on me after i gave them an estimate.....after i pulled out my pics they realized the guy they had wasnt trimming/edging properly. U really have to work to get customers nowadays. They are very hard to get. First year u wont get more than 5-12 real accounts. it sounds alot easier than it is....trust me, i just started this year. I thought i could get 30+ customers by putting out flyers and such!! haha whata joke that was. the only way to get customers is to do good quality work for the ones u have. then u will get word of mouth calls, but nothing happens too quickly or overnight! it takes TIME