Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Picked up three new accounts, price not a factor

Plus I've got several more new quotes to make this week.

The first one was a former customer who canned us spring of 09 because he found a better price. His guy has not showed up for two weeks. Offered to put him on the schedule, and added $15 over last years price. They also gave us a bunch of bed, mulch, and plant work.

Number two, saw the 800-mow-my-lawn truck sign and called. Said her guy had not been over to cut and it was getting to high. I had actually gone to quote this property about 60 days ago and told her at the time "no way I can beat the price your getting" Weekly cut for $30 including bush trimming. Very nice neighborhood with lots of landscaping. I told her that her current guy was actually doing a good job and it made no sense for me to quote her. She saw us in the neighborhood and decided to call. Asked if I could put her on the schedule to cut as her yard was not being serviced. I discussed with her how I still could not come close to the $30 price, but she said come cut it anyway. I quoted her $55 for mow, trim, edge and blow, she said "do it". We chatted for awhile, I'm telling her, that the guy she is using is doing good work, but probably realized he was not making a dime and either moved to another account or shut the operation down.

Number three, was number two's father about a mile away. Said if my daughter is going to use you, come do mine also. All of the sudden, we've got as much work as we can take and booked out through mid July.

All three turned into much more work, beds, plants, top soil erosion fill, sod, drainage installation and tons of mulch work. A few weeks ago, I was thinking that there was no money to be made this season, and the competitive nature of things was taking any fun and profit out of it. Now I think all of the "laid off" new "startups" have felt the heat, thrashed their homeowner equipment into disrepair, and are starting to abandon their new accounts.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
... Now I think all of the "laid off" new "startups" have felt the heat, thrashed their homeowner equipment into disrepair, and are starting to abandon their new accounts.
That's interesting, it doesn't seem to be that way around here ... but hey, congratulations to you !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB