Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ha, i never realized those grader blades rotated out like that, access for maintenance i suppose.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great pics. I was referring to your boots which showed up in the picture from atop the silo. Frye is a brand of westen boot. Many of their models feature the square toe.
Frye Boots

Last edited by 44DCNF; 06-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
ha, i never realized those grader blades rotated out like that, access for maintenance i suppose.
or to finish off walls and steep embankements, really you can do just about anything with a grader. They are often out to the side to make it easier to change the cutting edges.... Working at the right level makes things a breeze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
Great pics. I was referring to your boots which showed up in the picture from atop the silo. Frye is a brand of westen boot. Many of their models feature the square toe.
Frye Boots
OIC, yea square toe western work boots....
Twisted X i Believe is the brand.
They are a good solid work boot, but i dont spend to much money on work boots. They get ate up and dried up with the cement powder i used to oil weekly and it was still a loosing battle.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Cement powder is very distructive to any boot other than rubber boots it dries the leather out and eats the stitching in your boots.

What a good grader operator can do with one is interesting to watch. You definatly have to have a good eye to be a grader operator.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea i know GR, and it also dries your skin. I wont even bother with lotion anymore, it dont help.
Cement powder is destructive to all leather's, leather gloves dont last long, boots dont last long.

Weekly oiling will extend there life, but they still wont last like they would in a "normal" enviroment...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin4life View Post
Yea i know GR, and it also dries your skin. I wont even bother with lotion anymore, it dont help.
Cement powder is destructive to all leather's, leather gloves dont last long, boots dont last long.

Weekly oiling will extend there life, but they still wont last like they would in a "normal" enviroment...
My dad and I used to do a lot of concrete dad had his own ready mix truck we used for concrete anchor building. Used to make 1 to 5 ton concrete anchors for docks and mooring bouys.

We didn't have a silo for the cement power we bought in bag form and used to dump it into the drum. Guess who had that job I got used to the cement burns

We had a hopper for the navvy jack that we dump the gravel into to load the mixer drum.

The cement powder never bothered me some people it burns their skin.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

im the son of a brick/block/stone mason, guess who got to learn to mix the mud?? it was a workout, throwing 80-94lb bags of type I, N or M into the mixer did create quite the cloud. get home at the end of the day and your arms are white like a ghost.

or working in a machine shop around a ton of paint thinner (cleaning the machine grease) would dry out your skin like crazy as well.

looks like you have a slick job, i dont think i would be too good at it as i get bored pretty quickly. thats why i like the quick turnover jobs
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I do ALOT of different things, which is why i am happy here. I get bored easily, i am either in high production mode, or i am doing 15 different things at any given time. Which is what i like doing. I do everything from paper work to wrenching on the plant to running equipment, running the plant. Teaching guys new things...
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thats good, id prolly pull my hair out if i had to sit at the op station all the time.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Only time i have to be here at all time is during large main line paves typically run from 700-2000cy in a day. When were running that hard, i am always batching or loading a truck, and if not i take a few minutes to step out of the control house, on long pave days ill alternate between sitting down and standing up while batching.

I am looking now into getting my cco liscence and going into that. Ill probably get into some different equipment here in a few months while i work on my cco liscence.