Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker owners

hello all,

I'm looking at ordering a new walker before the fall leaf cleanup season begins. I'm stock on which engine option to go with, the most common one my dealer sells is just the 23hp carb'd model but i know with my stander i wish i would have went with a bigger motor. Should i spend the extra bucks and get a EFI liquid cooled model? mind you i don't put crazy hours on my machines, i did 200hours on my stander last year.
Also i'm going to be mostly solo come September until things start to pick up again in my area, and to save me some labor i was thinking about a high dump kit, but again my dealer is trying to talk me out of it saying that it isn't worth the 3grand for the kit to just get the tubs that fit inside of the hopper or build a ramp on the front of the trailer to get into the dump box in the truck.
6ft Aluminum Truck Craft Dump Insert
20x8 Atlas Enclosed Trailer
14x 6.5 Tandem Open Landscaping Trailer
1 2011 Walker 23/48
1 36" Scag Belt Drive Fixed Deck walkbehind
2 21" Toro Super Recylers
1 Blue Bird Lawn Dethatcher
1 Classen 30" core aerator
1 Sthil FS 90R (love the 4-mix)
1 Sthil KM 90R with trimmer, edger, poll pruner and tiller
1 Stihl HS 45
1 Stihl BR429
1 Sthil BG 55 D

Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 23hp and do not see the need to upgrade at all. I dont think the 25 hp is faster. Your not towing a trailer with it. They use to come with 16 and 18hp motors and they did fine in their day.

I am solo, set up similarly to you I am sure. I have put roughly 200 hrs on my walker in the past year or so.

The high dump, I did not get this. I just did not see the 3k spending on saving maybe a minute.

I use lawnbagg's. I bought them from amleo.com and they last a good while. The 202 gallons fit 2 walker loads. But If you are dumping in the back of the truck, you should only use it for 1 dump.

I personally, dump into the bag, on my trailer. Leave it there until the end of the day, then when I go to the dump. I am able to drag the bags and empty them. Just fold them up or stuff them in a trash can for the next use.

Good luck on your decision and your buy.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Where I am at about 3/4 of the contractors use Walkers. Everyone seems to like the MT 23HP or the MT 26EFI the best. Both are great machines if u need the use of a Walker. Several guys use the dump bins and others prefer the high dump for their operation. I talked with a guy just yesterday about his brand new 2010 MT 48" GHS machine with high dump. Cost him 17K here. AMERICAN DOLLARS. He had the high dump on his previous machine and he says that that setup works the best for him. The added weight and highter COG of the machine doesn't affect or inhibit his operations so for him it works. Others say its not worth the machine cost, maintenace, or hassle, or has a damaging affect to wetter turf or ground.
You'll have to see what setup makes you the happiest. Do you have any sort of trailer with a grass collecting box/bin or truck bed to dump into right now or would you just back onto the trailer to dump? Those kind of questions will tell you what type of setup you'll need.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Property View Post
hello all,

I'm looking at ordering a new walker before the fall leaf cleanup season begins. I'm stock on which engine option to go with, the most common one my dealer sells is just the 23hp carb'd model but i know with my stander i wish i would have went with a bigger motor. Should i spend the extra bucks and get a EFI liquid cooled model? mind you i don't put crazy hours on my machines, i did 200hours on my stander last year.
Also i'm going to be mostly solo come September until things start to pick up again in my area, and to save me some labor i was thinking about a high dump kit, but again my dealer is trying to talk me out of it saying that it isn't worth the 3grand for the kit to just get the tubs that fit inside of the hopper or build a ramp on the front of the trailer to get into the dump box in the truck.
I had a high lift unit on my walker back in 1996. It raised the center of gravity to a point where I lost 50% of my traction on slopes. I had it removed after only 3 days. If you do mostly flat ground, then it is a time saver. My Walker has the 20 HP engin, 4000+ hours. It will run my 62" deck and my Buffalo turbine blower fine. The first engin lasted 2600 hours. Its a work horse......
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man, Walker machines sure are nice, however, $ 17 K for a lawn mower is just simply against my religion !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

12 k got me a 2008 mt 26efi large hopper large blower dual tail wheel low pro tires easy deck height curb ramp i have 1000 hours on it already. 2.25 seasons i change oil and grease often had leaky deck a few days ago changed a seal in half hour for 10 bucks works great. if you use it efi saves tons of fuel. skip on the liquid cooled model 48 deck

Details make money!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paid 10,200 out the door for my 2008 23hp MTGHS with a 42" deck and 4 sets of blades, 6 extra oil filters and a case of oil.