Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are losing only 1/4" daily, it is most probably evaporation. The daily average for my area, based on USDA info, is about 0.40 inch. This is AVERAGE! Some days it is considerably higher. In some areas of the US Southwest, 3-4 inch/day loss to evap. is not uncommon. If you add plants, the average loss increases because of the loss of additional moisture due to transpiration by the plants. Also, moving water will have a higher rate of loss.
So, don't despair. You have prolly corrected the original leak. Now you are left with the "unrepairable leak".....evaporation.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

are you losing 1/4" in 24 hr. when it is off? or when it is running.....do you think some of that loss is from splash...how much water can it lose before the pumps dry?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Tadpole that the evaporation rate is about normal. No one tells you about evaporation while your cutting your teeth on these ponds. lol!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Well today I decided I'd start putting the gravel back in that I had removed, by hand, and noticed I was all of a sudden losing about 1/2" in an hour. So I started to check everything again, and my brother-in-law who was hanging around mentioned that he crossed the stream and had stepped on the rocks just at the lip of the weir, and it felt like they moved.
So I double checked and just to be sure put in additional waterfall foam ust to be safe.

We had to go to the yacht club for the annual meet & greet luncheon and when I came back the pond was almost empty. The pump was pumping lots of air and it looked like a whirlpool.

I have now completely torn down and re-done the weir hoping that it will be the cause. If not, I'm at a loss......again.

This is just like owning a boat...b=break...o=out...a=another...t=thousand.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your problem is probably caused by the fact that you are of the belief that foam is a waterproof agent. IT IS NOT!! It is used solely for the purpose of diverting water, usually over a rock instead of under. It should not be used to cement one rock to another. It may act like one, but it is not an adhesive. Did you apply Silicone caulk when you attached the liner to the Waterfall weir? If not, then you most likely are losing water BEHIND the liner. If the integrity of the waterfall weir is acceptable, then you are losing water over the edge of the Stream liner in one or more places. Is the liner for the stream and pond one piece or did you overlap? If you overlapped liner, check these spots, you may not have allowed sufficient overlap.
Instances such as this are exactly why most of us on this Forum advise against attempting a large installation first step out of the gate; without sufficient experience or sufficient knowledge problems will occur.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Many thanks to tadpole. I was of the belief that foam is waterproof. In the Aquascape Waterfall and Stream Constructions dvd, it doesn't say that it is waterproof, but it sure does imply it is. I made a point of watching it again and think that Aquascape should make a new one and make the very point that it is NOT waterproof.
Now after tearing down most of the rocks, I have used good old exterior silicone caulking and it appears my problems are gone. I will only be sure when we get a few days without rain, and that isn't in the forecast for the next week. But I am going to continue with the pond area and the main part of the stream.

I must say, that this is not the type of work for a man in my condition, but I'm loving every minute of it.....even going to bed at 8 and sleeping until 6.
I haven't done that in years.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to be of help. Any advertisement you read is IMPLYING something. If they told you the whole truth, you probably wouldn't buy half the stuff that you do.
I will admit that this type of work will either whip you into shape or just whip you. Like my Granny said "It 'll work the pi'suns out."
Id be willing to bet that you have solved your leak problem.......for now.