Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

striping mower, hustler, simplicity? tractor or ZT?

I got ~$4,000 to spend(with approval ) Im putting $1000-2000 down and financing the rest, over 12-24 months.

I live on the river, have a little over an acre that gets mowed and needs to look good, and about another 1/2 acre that gets mowed about twice a month, doesnt need to look good. I also have a hill maybe 100yds long near the river, with a pretty steep incline(could push mow this).

I want a mower that will give me nice stripes for my main lawn. I used to have a JD 125 mower from lowes, and I used to pull a lawn striper behind it which was a pain in the It was like pulling a wagon with you everywhere, but it made decent stripes. I then sold that to a buddy when he bought a new house, and have been using my grandfathers old simplicity broadmore since last fall. Its an early 90's model and is missing a few rollers, but makes decent stripes. The problem with that mower is that burns through about a qt of oil everytime I mow.....

So now its time to upgrade!

I have a JD, Simplicity, and Hustler dealer all very close to me, and live about 20 miles from Toledo Ohio, where Im sure they have all sorts of dealers.

So Im open to suggestions on what I should look for.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Simplicity Stripes

Roller Stripes

Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone have any info for me?

I have been scouring the site, I dont see much mention of simplicity mowers here.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1258 View Post
anyone have any info for me?

I have been scouring the site, I dont see much mention of simplicity mowers here.
I traded my 16yr old Simplicity Broadmoor in on the Scag mainly due to I now live at a place with lots of trees and bigger yard. it had a better looking cut when I was done than this new Scag. Even the dealer said the Broadmoor would make a better looking cut than any ZTR he sold. (sold Simplicity, Country Clipper and Scag)

I think it has to do with the free floating deck and built in rollers. It followed the contours of the ground instead of riding over them. Scalping the yard was never a problem with the Simplicity. One of the best things about that old mower was being able to slide the deck out in less than minute. It made cleaning the bottom side so easy. How long does it take to remove the deck on a JD or Hustler??

If I was buying a garden tractor, it would be the Simplicity Conquest. its a little bigger than the Broadmoor and has Automatic Controlled Traction and differential lock - very nice for hills.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

See I had myself sold on a hustler. I was going to my local dealer tomorrow to throw an offer out on one.

The local simplicity guy also told me that the simplicity tractor would outstripe and out mow the hustler, and even the simplicity ZTRs.

I at first thought maybe he really wanted to move a tractor, but now another person has been told the same thing.

I just dont know what to do now.....
Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Simplicity. I have a Regent for my own lawn and the cut and stripes are much better than commercial mowers. The TRUE floating deck with the full-length rollers is key. Any mower without the rollers is just a hanging deck. Absolutely no comparison.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1258 View Post
See I had myself sold on a hustler. I was going to my local dealer tomorrow to throw an offer out on one.

The local simplicity guy also told me that the simplicity tractor would outstripe and out mow the hustler, and even the simplicity ZTRs.

I at first thought maybe he really wanted to move a tractor, but now another person has been told the same thing.

I just dont know what to do now.....
Go to the Hustler dealer and say you want to take one home for the day. Mow half your yard and then take it back. Go to the Simpicity dealer and pick up a Broadmoor, Conquest or something along those lines. Finish the other half of your yard. Find out which one meets your needs. I would be surprised if the dealers don't play along. At the very least, they will let you take a used model.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm comparing the Simplicity Broadmoor vs Simplicity ZTR ZT3500 (new model $3900). I've had a Simplicity tractor with full rollers and can say it does produce great striping. I think its really a matter of preference and how much you need snow plow/blower attachment(s). Can't go wrong with either choice. The ZT3500 has a BS Pro Series engine and is a beefed up version of the ZT3000 for about the same price. Good luck with that steep hill. I use to work with a landscaper during summers...had to use a rope to mow some hills. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anymower will stripe. I have never messed around with it, but you have to adjust the pitch on your deck and that will help with the stripes. You can also just get a roller. There was someone on here with a Hustler Sport putting down some nice stripes last season. Just do a search under homeowner stripes!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own