Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For those who wear eye glasses..

I'm getting away from contact lenses tomorrow as I don't have the patience to take them in and out every night. Does anyone know of any special glasses I can get that are good for lawn care. I'm worried about not being able to wear my Stihl sunglasses over the front of my regular glasses.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't know of any off hand but you could check with your local eyewear place.

maybe you could get some replacement lenses for your stihl pair???

i can't imagine me ever wearing glasses. i absolutely love my contacts. they make contacts you can sleep in. purhaps you should invest in those......
Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have those contacts now, I sleep with them for month or two at a time till they hurt then take them out. I think tomorrow I'm going to get the eye glass and contact exam at the same time. Then I can try to take them out nightly, and if I have problems putting them back in I can just put glasses on and go to my full time job.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have three pair of glasses...

One pair is my regular glasses that I wear 80% of the time.

One pair is prescription sunglasses that I use well, when it's sunny.

Third pair is my "regular" glasses from my older prescription. I wear them to work daily so my good glasses don't get beat up.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i tried the kind you can sleep in and all but i still had to take them out...i couldn't stand waking up and they would be all dry feeling and stuff....now i just put them in in the morning and take them out after work and wear my glasses the rest of the night...it doesn't take but a minute to put them in and take them out lol
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Couple jobs I've had to wear osha approved safety glasses over my safety glasses and mixed with a hardhat in a small spaces I want to go crazy. Did some research and came up with these I wanted to buy http://www.safevision.net/sportglass...link_lead.html. I'm waiting for a few other bills to clear but these will be my new prescription glasses for work.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcw5804 View Post
I have those contacts now, I sleep with them for month or two at a time till they hurt then take them out. I think tomorrow I'm going to get the eye glass and contact exam at the same time. Then I can try to take them out nightly, and if I have problems putting them back in I can just put glasses on and go to my full time job.
i don't know what kind of contacts you have and i don't know everything about the one's you can sleep in but i would say thats part of your problem.

my contacts are suppose to be changed out every month with a fresh, new pair. when it comes to my eyes i follow exactly what they tell me.

i was told mine are actually rated to be slept in but they never told me i could. i just put them in in the morning and take them out before i go to bed. at the end of the month in the trash they go and i bust out a new pair.

i personally am not a fan of wearing glasses so i will do what i can to take care of my eyes with the contacts. this year they switched my brand to one that gives my eyes 5 times more oxygen than the others i was wearing. i wear my contacts on average 12-15 hours a day.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I could wear contacts. I have terrible eye allergies, an astigmatism, and I'll be darned if I can't touch my eyes.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDMcgowan View Post
Couple jobs I've had to wear osha approved safety glasses over my safety glasses and mixed with a hardhat in a small spaces I want to go crazy. Did some research and came up with these I wanted to buy http://www.safevision.net/sportglass...link_lead.html. I'm waiting for a few other bills to clear but these will be my new prescription glasses for work.
other bills???

i have a pair of those. they are only $70............
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wear tri-focal lenses all the time. The lenses get dirty, with dust and grass spatter on them all the time. Also, they get sweat streaks often. But, I never take them off to clean until the end of the day. I put them under the faucet and wipe all the debris off and then dry them. Yes, they are sometimes a real challenge to wear. When sweaty, they tend to slide down my nose. I've worked long and often with the local shop to get them adjusted regularly to minimize these problems.

At times I would like to wear goggles to keep dust out (such as Fall leaf work). But, any goggles that I've had put the squeeze on the frames someplace, and get them out of shape. I have had to set aside the goggle thing.

The other problem I have is equipment repair. When working at arms length on an equipment repair, or maintenance item, the distance is troubling. The work piece is either too close to be far, or too far to be close. In other words, I have a hard time deciding whether to use the bottom lens, or the middle one. Often, this can be frustrating. Does anybody else were tri-focals, and how do you resolve this problem.

Oh yes, one more problem, and that is off hearing protection. I've tried, but never found buds that work well. I have muffs, but extended wearing of the muffs presses on the frames, distorting them. This means I often don't use the muffs -- can't stand to get the frames bent out of shape. Anybody have a solution for this one?