Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2002, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what a snapper!

i looked this morning at snappers new walk behinds. i was wondering if they are as good as they claimed they were? grand ol oprea uses them, but i don't have there number. i would like to hear what you boys and girls think.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sirsweatsalot:

I looked at them too, they didn't look too bad. Did you ever buy one?

Joel B.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper has always made a good home owner machine, and there commercial stuff has gotten better over the years.
I wonder if Simplicity will bring the Ferris riders into the Snapper line for a solid line up of mowers.
Simplicity just bought Snapper and already owns Ferris and Giant-Vac....
Here is the news release
Simplicity aquires Snapper

Later
Pj
Old 11-22-2002, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Simplicity & Ferris

I just recently looked at a Simplicity ZTR (Ferris with full suspension). Looks to be the Ferris ZTR only it's painted orange and has Simplicity logo's.
Is it just me or does this ZTR look more like a Sherman Tank with a 72" deck? In general the mower looks real nice but there seems to be allot of bells and whisels that could be maintenance headaches.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are the same machine (simplicity/ferris) but the warrenty is not!!!

The simplicity version is marked for homeowner use and has 1/2 the Ferris warrenty.

As for Snapper walkbehinds, I was coming on here to start the same thread! I looked at their stuff as well. The walkbehinds I would consider. Very nice!

The ZTR's I would not. They cost way too much for what they are. Over $8,500+, gimmie a break! I passed on a big one I ran across this summer. A 25 HP 61" with only 200 hrs for $4,000. It was the joystick model though.

I'd like to see more about the WB's though
Old 11-22-2002, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

As for Snapper walkbehinds, I was coming on here to start the same thread! I looked at their stuff as well. The walkbehinds I would consider. Very nice!

The ZTR's I would not. They cost way too much for what they are. Over $8,500+, gimmie a break! I passed on a big one I ran across this summer. A 25 HP 61" with only 200 hrs for $4,000. It was the joystick model though.

I'd like to see more about the WB's though
Me too, I was at a dealer getting my tire fixed, and he had a snapper 48 inch. It looked nice, but would like to see if anyone is using these and what their thoughts are.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Banned

I can't speak much about the new ones, but I have one that is a few years old (although never used until I bought it this past spring).
It's a 52" hydro with a 17 hp Briggs Vangaurd. I'm very happy with it. Leaves a great cut. Seems to get a good vacuum which stands the grass up and cuts it clean.
I guess my only complaint would be the loop handles. I like them except the range of movement is kind of a far stretch for my hands.
I did briefly look at the new ones at the Louisville show. Seems they have a shorter range of motion and don't require your hands to stretch near as much. Wish mine had them.

Based on my limitied experience with this single machine, I would buy another one from them.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran Snapper Walkbehinds for a couple of years for anlther LCO
I liked the controls (loop grip) and the cut quality was always good. easy to maintain. These were a 97 and two 99 moddles and two of them are still goin. (one blew an engine-not the mowers fault , but Kohlers).

What have they changed for the new models??
I haven't heard of anything new from snapper in a while.

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 11-22-2002, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hummm...

Dunno if I checked out the older or newer design. How could I tell? Anyways I like all these pistol grip alternatives. The are all nice. The neutral lock on the Snapper was a bit of a pain to use though.

I wish they still offered the Briggs Vanguard. I like them. Smooth quiet engines.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The lock on the snapper is defferent from alot of them but i think better. One lock for both sides just use your finger tips, instead of your thumbs.

the snapper loop grip has been around a long time and is available on belt drives also.

The tracking lever works very well. One lever controls speed and left-right tracking.

I think Ive' just talked myself into taking another look at them myself

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE