Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2000, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

THIS TRUCK IS PULLING HARD RIGHT,I HEARD MAYBE SOME TROUBLES W/S.S.STEERING?I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID IT NEEDED ALIGN.,ALREADY?IT HAS PULLED LIKE THIS SINCE ABOUT 5000 MILES IT NOW HAS 25000 MI.THE DEALER ALSO SAID SINCE IT WAS THE FIRST ALIGN.IT WOULD COST AROUND $160 BECAUSE THEY HAD TO TAKE OUT THE FACTORY &quot;KNOCK-OUTS&quot;.MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE HEARD OF PROBLEMS WITH SOMETHING THAT IS UNDER WARRANTY (FRONT-END)OR IS THIS DEALER TRYING TO GET MY MONEY ON THE ALIGNMENT? THANXFOR YOUR HELP!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-28-2000, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Try swapping the front tires first. Right front to left front. Left front to right front. Also be advise that you should only remove the knockouts if you need to change camber and caster. I sometimes only remove the knockouts from one side. You should ask for a print out summary of the alignment. this way you can compare reading before and after the alignment. It usualy takes a differnce of more that .5 degs from side to side to cause a pull. (caster or camber) Remember that toe won't cause a pull unless its really far from spec. Good Luck. <br>PS. I would go to a shop with Hunter Alingment equipment. they usauly know what they are doing. You don't have to go to the dealer.
Old 03-28-2000, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not under any circumstances pay for this item. They do need to remove the knockouts to perform the lignment, however THIS IS A WARRANTY PROBLEM. I know cause I went through the same bs that you are. Have them change the front pitman arm and idler arm. Mine went out at 20K and it took two different dealers and 10K more miles until they fianlly fixed the problem. To fix it they sent it out to another HD truck alignment shop and they figured it out. The dealer techs for the most part are clueless.<br>What I did was have the first alignment, then place a stop payment on the check. I did this primarily cause the front end drift was 1000000000x worse then when I bought it in. I have heard that GM uses a high center gear in the steering box,thus making it more subject to road crown.<br>Also you may have broken a belt in a tire, causing the pull.Rotate and re-balance and see if that helps.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
Old 03-28-2000, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

THANX,I WAS HOPING IT WAS A WARRANTY PROBLEM.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-28-2000, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd be careful with the dealer, they probably won't align your truck under warranty. In Michigan they take you to court for stop payment on a check, Even if you were right to do it. I made it a point to test drive every vehicle I aligned, before and after. Like I said before. Find a good shop that will inspect the front suspension. thats not many miles. I have seen dealers throw parts at a vehicle (under warranty) this is how they make money. (not all dealers) and after you have lost alot of time going back and forth to the dealer. You may end up in a shop that will fix the problem. Good Luck
Old 03-29-2000, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, wait a minute. I had a 96 silverado 1/2 ton. The first alignment was free at the dealer. Reason is one the knock-outs and 2 when they roll off there is no alignment done. They set the tow and that is it! I would jump up and down on someone desk until they did it for free. Besides $25,000+ is a hell of a lot of money to roll out and not perform as advertised.<p>The guys will BS you into anything if they can make them fix it right now!!!!<p>Adam
Old 03-29-2000, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hello, <p>I asked a question about the front of chevy's before and I believe plowking told me the same thing. This is a problem that the chevy's truck have. I had the problem on my 97 1500, my friend had the problem on his 98 1500, and now, it sounds like you do too. I would definitely make a stand and not pay a dime for them to fix it. <p>Steveair
Old 03-29-2000, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here what I dont get. He has a 99 new style I assume. We all have the older style up to 98, yet even with the restyle and re-engineering they still have the same front end problems.<br>I talked with a friend the other day who ha 61K on his 98 1/2 ton 2wd and he needs new pitman and idler arms, he had a warranty till 60K and no the dealer told him to pay. I said call GM and make a huge stink, also scream right in the service writers face, funny how when you become a total a##hole they usually cave. Its sad it has to come to that but dont let them take advantage of you.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
Old 03-29-2000, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would waste my time with the main GM office in detroit,I've been there.I had 4 GM 88 and up IFS,+my current 89,and everyone of them needed the kockouts removed and an alignment before the first year,I did it myself where bI work,that way I know its right.They werent even close stock.I tried to get GM to partial reimburse on my 92 GMC Z71,it was 5 years and 1 month old when It flaked the first piece of paint off the hood,It had only 33000 miles on it,it was mint.The dealer I bought it from said I was out by 1 month,I called GM in detriot,got the run around all the way to the top,8 calls over 4 days,and my family has bought 15+ GM's in past 5 years-they wouldn't budge.I told them that they just lost a customer and promised them I would never buy another new truck that they made again,and I wont.Ironic,now my 89GMC started peeling in the winter,now I lose about a square foot a week,this sucks.To look good, I need to spend 1600 to strip and repaint.This truck doesnt even have a dent on it,paint still shines.Dino-they drove me to Dodge.The rest of my family has drifted to dodge too.None of us do Fords,its a bad word in my famil.y<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-29-2000, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any experience like that with any company would get anyone ticked off. Funny that ford repainted all their trucks. However I do know that if you perservere and finally talk to right person you may get results. Also a lot of it depends on the individual dealer, they have alot more say in the matter then they let on.<br>Dino