Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guesstimates appreciated

I am putting together a formal, above ground Koi Pond project that will of course require a formal spillway(s). I know enough about hardscaping to tell the difference between a brick and a paving stone... much less construction costs.

I would appreciate some 'ball park' figures on the construction of a feature similar to the attached picture. The dimensions will be 6' tall x 1' deep x 5.5' wide. I will pour a concrete footing for the feature and install the plumbing and spillways as construction proceeds.

BTW, the client is an engineer, so there will be an eyeball on detail and specs.

Just some approximate figures will help immensely.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't use brick or any concrete product at all with a Koi pond. The lime stone in it will royally screw the PH levels.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Pond will be filled with water before the Koi are added. After about 2 to 4 weeks the lime will have leached out of the masonry work. Pond will then be drained and refilled, then an additional 3 to 4 weeks will be allowed for the bacteria to adjust to lower pH and colonize. Only then will the Koi be introduced.
Koi will actually accommodate to a wide range of pH....from 6.0 to 8.5 as long as it is stable and does not fluctuate. Higher pH, however, does have a direct effect on the toxicity of Ammonia making it more dangerous. Plants prefer 6.5 to 7.0 but will handle slightly higher readings.

Last edited by tadpole; 06-15-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: wording
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard to actually say but I'm guessing in the 4-6K range. It would be easier with a basic construction time and material estimate. After reading your post again, how long is the pond going to be?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Keith. The pond dimensions are 17' long by 7' wide. It will be 3.5 ft tapering to 4' deep at center. About 3,000 gal. total capacity. This client, who I mentioned is an engineer, built the Pond shell 5 years ago when he added a multi-level deck. He then realized that this was not a DYI, even for an engineer. Everyone else that he has approached to finish the project has back-pedaled. I seldom back away from anything, as you have probably guessed by now.
I don't think that they are overly concerned as to type of wall stone used for construction because they did not even consider spillways would be a possible feature.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keith is probably right..... just make the spill ways "jut out" a little further to keep the water from reacting so much with stone and mortar.
I would like to see progress pics on this one if you could please.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am probably going to use Stainless Steel spillways from Easy Pro. I don't have any problem with the water end of the project and could more than likely do the stonework myself, but because of the client I want to sub it out to a professional stone mason if I can find one. I just needed a ball-park figure on the rock work including the cost of material.
I figured 3 to 4 G (things are a little cheaper down here) so, based on what Keith said, I am not too far off.
I will PM both of you guys with a photo of what the site looks like now.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't figure how to send a photo with a PM so, here's a couple. The wooden walls are 6 x 6's.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, so the walls are built. I thought you might have to frame the walls/pond with stone. I'm going to say split the difference between mine and your estimate. Not knowing your pricing,design/application and market is hard to come up with a price.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It appears that this project will be put on the back burner indefinitely. It seems that only $5,000.00 was budgeted for the entire project. Am a little disappointed as it would have been a somewhat challenging install.