Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Just paid the mason's bill

Tadpole,
I might be able to help comment as getting ready to do about the same concept and just paid for a major masonry job. Expect from $5-$20 per sq. ft for a Mason to do the stone work including masonry supplies. Stone itself will be the cost factor that will adjust all of this. I went with chopped limestone for the facing and it was about $245/ton for a pallet of mixed 4-6-8 blocks of about 4-inch thickness. Estimate of 40-50 sq. feet per ton of this type of material. I failed to consider this minor issue on thickness and it cost me about 5-inches in loss in a wall inside dimensions. You can go with thinner facing stone but the cost will jump a bunch, just ask your local stone supplier. If the client would accept thin stone and not the limestone in the picture then you could readily do this with tile mastic and use Hardy board like used in showers and such. Issue for you would be to connect the liner to the back concrete wall. For that I would use angle iron to bolt into that upper patio wall. The liner could be wrapped around this to reduce any rusting (Florida will rust anything is my guess). This will give a lip for the upper stone to rest upon as the mastic cures?

Just a comment from a homeowner that just keeps paying for this project and next is my similar fish pond too!

Kirby
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Kirby. Attaching the liner to the concrete wall was/is not an issue as aluminum Term bars would be used sealed with Lap cement. This is how liner is attached on most 'Formal' Water Features.
We never got as far as the client choosing the rock to be used for the spillway feature. They had budgeted $5,000.00 for the entire Pond Project. For a Koi Pond this size, that would maybe cover the costs only of the various modules and materials needed and a small part of the labor required. It would not cover any spillway feature. Total Project would have been $10,000 to $13,000.
What has surprised me the most is that this client, who is a systems engineer, did not do better preliminary research on the costs of this project.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=tadpole;3617849]a Total Project would have been $10,000 to $13,000.QUOTE]

Well, the silver lining to this is it has helped me figure a better starting price for our Koi pond build.

That really is a big let down when customers think stuff can be built for pennies.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keith-
You are talking about your own personal Pond? If so you should be able to come in at a lower figure....CHEAP LABOR!

As to customer price perceptions, I believe that this has been caused by the DYI TV shows that claim that you can install your own pond for a 'couple of thousand'. The entire DYI movement has widely spread a lot of mis-information on every subject that it has touched upon.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Tadpole,
Forgot to add one factor for the CMU blocks if you were to tear down the wood walls. I paid $7 per CMU this is for materials and labor. Did this on a 80-foot small retaining wall and same on walls for stairs and patio seating under all the stone. So it all adds up when dealing with natural stone projects.

By the way where does one get price or find the 'Term' bars?

Kirby
Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most good wholesale Pond distributors carry them and some carry the anchor bolts needed. I get mine thru Easy Pro.
BTW Kirby, got your email thru my website. Will try to send you an intelligible answer tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Keith-
You are talking about your own personal Pond? If so you should be able to come in at a lower figure....CHEAP LABOR!

As to customer price perceptions, I believe that this has been caused by the DYI TV shows that claim that you can install your own pond for a 'couple of thousand'. The entire DYI movement has widely spread a lot of mis-information on every subject that it has touched upon.
The Koi pond will be for my Koi suppliers customer. His Discuss (sp) breeder want's us to rip out his ecosystem pond and rebuild it as a 5000 gal Koi pond/tank.

DIY TV I saw a commercial the other day that had them installing base for a patio the correct way which made me about fall off the couch. It's about time they started showing some proper procedures, but the pricing and time conditions need to be "DeHollywooded" so to speak.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been searching for a handle for what are called Koi Ponds. I like Pond/Tank. That is basically what they are....an outdoor aquarium.
Don't forget to charge for the demo of the ecosystem pond.....lots of rock and gravel to relocate. A 5,000 gallon Koi Pond/Tank could easily exceed the $10,000 to $13,000 range depending on how many and what type 'Bells and Whistles' he wants to add.