Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hand spread every bit of it. Dump in a pile w/ wheel barrel and spread the pile by hand in big/ open areas, or grab handfuls and spread tight areas/ between plants, etc. Had my fourth tractor trailer load delivered Thursday (80 yard loads). Its just the way I prefer to do it, I get too agravated w/ a rake catching on plants or 'flicking' the mulch back up onto the plants or the porch or the handle getting tangled up in tree branches, just simpler with a good pair of gloves.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Hardwood mulch. Pitchfork to spread it, backside of a plastic rake after its all down. It only takes 5-10 minutes to go over a fairly large house (10-20yrds mulch) and it'll get the mulch looking as smooth as glass. Use a quick sweep motion, the flexible plastic allows you to "flick" the mulch a tiny bit, enough to get it to lay flat. Only the larger open spaces need to be hit with the rake. I'm very good with a fork but your not going to get it as smooth as the raked finish imo. It may actually save you time raking at the end instead of trying to use the fork for perfection since it doesn't take long.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=320582

All touched up with a rake.

facebook.com/jwslandscaping

Tags
mulch , rake , smooth , tips