Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

10k asphault ???

I just pressure washed the inside of a 10,000sf building that has an asphault floor that was really dusty. I am fairly new to pressure washing...I already did the job and it turned out great but now I have to bill them for it. I basically told them I would bill by the hour but Im sure I am slow so I want to know about what something like that should go for so I dont rip them off. Can you guys help me out?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello anybody? Just a rough idea please
Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

You already have your problem partially solved by realizing that it probably took you a bit longer than it would somebody who is more experienced at pressure washing. While there is usually a local, county and regional "rate per hour" for the pressure washing service industry you will not want to go too far below that hourly rate while at the same time you dont want to overcharge the customer. Still at the same time you dont want others to set your rates but rather you want to set your own rates in accordance to what is in the best interest of your own business.

I can truly understand your dilemna...i have beeen there before.

One thing you can do is estimate three seperate seperate prices to work with:

Price #01 - The standard price per hour charged by other pressure washing services.

Price #02 - The price per hour slightly less that the standard price per hour charged by other pressure washing services due to the possibility you might be a little slower or less efficient in rendering your services.

Price #03 - The general price per single unit job that you can charge the customer and make a solid (after taxes) profit without hurting yourself. Then you can add the cost of what you would have paid to lease your pressure washer from the equipment rental business during this time period. And heck while you are at it also add the cost of a steak dinner even if you did eat bologna for lunch.

Write these three price quotes down on paper and study them for a few hours and then simply follow your gut instinct about what to charge.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$1200 should have taken 3-4 hours.
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash
Old 06-18-2010, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FCPWLLC .....Are you serious about that price. It took me more like 8 hrs but thats with a small unit and I washed the metal walls down which ...i guess took about half the time so i wasnt too far off. I was thinking about charging in the 400-600 range. Is that really low balling because I would be making about 60 an hr at that rate.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.TX View Post
FCPWLLC .....Are you serious about that price. It took me more like 8 hrs but thats with a small unit and I washed the metal walls down which ...i guess took about half the time so i wasnt too far off. I was thinking about charging in the 400-600 range. Is that really low balling because I would be making about 60 an hr at that rate.
Just giving you MY price. I get that kind of price day in and day out. We wash houses in an hour and get $350+.

With washing down the walls too, I'd be at $1600+.

Something to think about..... $60/hr is awesome money if your expenses are only $10/hr. $200/hr is bad money if your expenses are $180/hr.

Don't get stuck on the dollar amount that a customer might percieve as large. Only YOU know what will be profitable. If $60/hr is covering ALL your expense, paying you a good paycheck and allowing for profit and growth, then is not a low-ball price. For me, $60/hr won't do all those things as I expect a 6 figure salary from my company and also want to grow and market.
Also, Chrome on a Harley is expensive.
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$1000. did you use a surface cleaner?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just used straight water. All we needed to do on this one was wash the dirt away. My business is still fairly small with basically just 3 of us. Our overhead is low and around here I can make money off charging 35-45 man hr. That means if there are 3 of us its usually around 100hr before you take out pay for the guys and operating expenses. Most of the time that leaves me with around 50-60 an hr if I am on the job too. I am wanting to make more though so thats why I am branching out into other services besides landscaping and so if I need to charge more then I will be happy to do so. We try and do good work with whatever we do so I always appreciate any advice that helps us keep up with the industry standard or better.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.TX View Post
$60 an hour is okay......if you want to go out of business. ANY and EVERY service company should be billing AT LEAST $100 per hour. If I see a service company billing less than that, you can usually bet he's struggling at every facet of his business. No offense meant here, just being honest. $60 per hour is scraps for a business, but sufficient for an old, retired man who needs money to spend on his coffee in the morning.
Roof Cleaning Evansville, Indiana
Evansville Movers 270-577-4149
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionpower View Post
$60 an hour is okay......if you want to go out of business. ANY and EVERY service company should be billing AT LEAST $100 per hour. If I see a service company billing less than that, you can usually bet he's struggling at every facet of his business. No offense meant here, just being honest. $60 per hour is scraps for a business, but sufficient for an old, retired man who needs money to spend on his coffee in the morning.
I finally came back to this site after not visiting in a long time and I see nothing has changed. This whole place is full of stuck up pricks like yourself. I for one will keep charging my "low" prices and continue to SUCCESSFULLY run my business and do quality work, which shows by the refferals I get. I dont understand why all your guys have to act so macho and holier than thou. People like you are the reason I quit coming here