Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
I finally came back to this site after not visiting in a long time and I see nothing has changed. This whole place is full of stuck up pricks like yourself. I for one will keep charging my "low" prices and continue to SUCCESSFULLY run my business and do quality work, which shows by the refferals I get. I dont understand why all your guys have to act so macho and holier than thou. People like you are the reason I quit coming here
Well, first off, I'm not a prick. I'm one of the nicest, most helpful guys you will ever meet. Always go the extra mile to help out ANYBODY who asks for it. And I bet you'd would NEVER call me a prick if we were face-to-face, because I'd slap the taste right out of your mouth. Aside from that, nobody is "holier than thou" or "macho". It seems to me that someone (you) lacks the confidence, and/or balls to step up and discuss business principles, pricing, etc. Instead, you take it personal, and run from a difference of opinion instead of attempting to justify your opinions. If you ever want to discuss business, let's do it. but, I don't speak "whiney", and most other professionals don't either. And, to be completely honest with you, I don't think ANYONE cares if you come here or not, just as they don't care if I come here either. This is a great forum, and guys can disagree and still be friends, without name-calling and acting immature.
Until you can play along, feel free to continue to charge your low prices. The prices may not be low for you, if you know what it takes to be profitable. Sounds to me like you took it personal, so maybe it hit home. And the reason we act "macho", is because for some reason, every Joe Blow thinks that because he knows how to turn on a pressure washer, that he must also know how tot use it correctly. It's not an attitude; it's an irritation that our industry standards get compromised by folks who have no idea how this industry works. hope that helps clarify.
Roof Cleaning Evansville, Indiana
Evansville Movers 270-577-4149
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

@ slowleak: Keep in mindalso that an internet forum doesn't allow to hear the tone in one's voice,soyou can't sense my sarcasm. My replyto the originalOP was meant to offer my opinion with a sense of humor, instead of saying
"Hey Dumba$$, you don't charge enough! You're an idiot! And did I mention, you also a dumba$$?" So,I apologize if offended anyone.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think I will be going out of business anytime soon. I agree I could charge more but like what Micheal said ....its all about what your expenses are. I am small and my expenses are low. Sure I can charge more as I need to but thats why im asking for advice ...not attitude. Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.TX View Post
I dont think I will be going out of business anytime soon. I agree I could charge more but like what Micheal said ....its all about what your expenses are. I am small and my expenses are low. Sure I can charge more as I need to but thats why im asking for advice ...not attitude. Thanks
Like I said, no attitude, just a sense of humor. And if you CAN charge more, then why would you not?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice ... Sorry for the attitude myself I just had a long day. Thanks for the advice everybody.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Hows it going Kevin?

N.Tx & slowleak1
- are you running charity or a business?
If you answer "business", continue reading

- are you providing Mcdonalds service or 5 star restaurant service?
If your answer is "5 star service at McD's prices" you will not be in business very long and you will ALWAYS be broke. When was the last time you were in a 5 star restaurant with McD's pricing? They dont exist for a reason

My number is here if you want to ask more questions
Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionpower View Post
Well, first off, I'm not a prick. I'm one of the nicest, most helpful guys you will ever meet. Always go the extra mile to help out ANYBODY who asks for it. And I bet you'd would NEVER call me a prick if we were face-to-face, because I'd slap the taste right out of your mouth. Aside from that, nobody is "holier than thou" or "macho". It seems to me that someone (you) lacks the confidence, and/or balls to step up and discuss business principles, pricing, etc. Instead, you take it personal, and run from a difference of opinion instead of attempting to justify your opinions. If you ever want to discuss business, let's do it. but, I don't speak "whiney", and most other professionals don't either. And, to be completely honest with you, I don't think ANYONE cares if you come here or not, just as they don't care if I come here either. This is a great forum, and guys can disagree and still be friends, without name-calling and acting immature.
Until you can play along, feel free to continue to charge your low prices. The prices may not be low for you, if you know what it takes to be profitable. Sounds to me like you took it personal, so maybe it hit home. And the reason we act "macho", is because for some reason, every Joe Blow thinks that because he knows how to turn on a pressure washer, that he must also know how tot use it correctly. It's not an attitude; it's an irritation that our industry standards get compromised by folks who have no idea how this industry works. hope that helps clarify.
LOL..dont give youself too much credit. Anyone can figure out how to use a pressure washer, just like a lawnmower. Give me a break. Do you think pressure washing is a trade? A trained monkey could do it except it probably would get boring for him because its so mindless.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
LOL..dont give youself too much credit. Anyone can figure out how to use a pressure washer, just like a lawnmower. Give me a break. Do you think pressure washing is a trade? A trained monkey could do it except it probably would get boring for him because its so mindless.
Are you trying to push buttons or are you serous because those are the words of a lowballing hack working for beer money, not a professional....

A quality landscaper will use quality equipment, take the time to properly train employees and treat their customers with respect. At the same time they will provide top of the line services.

The same holds true for power washing only it takes longer to become proficient and learn the proper techniques to use on different surfaces.

I have seen wood, concrete, stone, pavers, brick, vinyl, aluminum, roof shingles and just about every other surface ruined because a weekend warrior or overly ambitious home owner thought "its only power washing, any monkey can do it".

Repair or replacement costs for those surfaces are far more expensive then hiring a professional to do it the right way.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinNJ View Post
Are you trying to push buttons or are you serous because those are the words of a lowballing hack working for beer money, not a professional....

A quality landscaper will use quality equipment, take the time to properly train employees and treat their customers with respect. At the same time they will provide top of the line services.

The same holds true for power washing only it takes longer to become proficient and learn the proper techniques to use on different surfaces.

I have seen wood, concrete, stone, pavers, brick, vinyl, aluminum, roof shingles and just about every other surface ruined because a weekend warrior or overly ambitious home owner thought "its only power washing, any monkey can do it".

Repair or replacement costs for those surfaces are far more expensive then hiring a professional to do it the right way.
Dead serious. Not lowballers at all. I have trained the absolute dumbest guys to run lawnmowers. It is what it is. Anyone can use easlily learn to use a power washer. Its not stuff that people cant do its stuff that people dont want to do. I mean seriously, dont give yourselves too much credit. Mowing and powerwashing are services that people use because they dont feel like doing it themselves, not because they are not capable. You can still charge a premium by selling quality work and reliability . There are do's and dont's to power washing like everything else. Read the owners manual and do about 20 minutes of reasearch online. Give me a break.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

While anyone can be taught to use something, it is possible that the teacher is teaching a bad method. Keep reading the owners manual on a pressure washer, and I guarantee it is being used improperly.

Anyhow, that said, if it is TRUE that ANYONE can PROPERLY use a Pressure Washer, or Lawn Mower, it is also TRUE that "Not Just Anyone" can properly run a Profitable Business. This is why 9/10 fail. They simply are being run by "Just Anyone"

Not knowing the numbers or sound business principles will cause failure in an instant.

For the record, I do not think "anyone" can pick up a machine and do 20 minutes of online research and do what I, a professional, does. On a game show called "Are you smarter than a Pressure Washing Pro", I'd make contestants feel like kidergarten students.

Original poster... Sorry your thread got out of hand like it did.
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash