Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Question - Get Rid Of Ruts? (Truck Tire Tracks)

I thought I'd post this here for you pros to respond to, as this is not something I'm looking to do myself.
I have 2+ acres, of which approx 1/5 acre has ruts of various depths, which make it very rough when I mow. The grass is fine, and I'd prefer not to haul in dirt and go through all of that, however, maybe that's the option you recommend.
Is rolling an alternative to get rid of the ruts? Is this something that a landscaper would do, or do I contact an excavator to bring in big equipment?
The ruts were made by a truck going to my back corner where I used to have a burn pile, and is the lowest point on my property. After a rain its fairly soft. All ruts go in same direction. the other ruts are from when I had the min-barn delivered.
What is the best way to take care of this?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

A co-worker told me that I should never compact (roll) my lawn as that could result in killing the grass. True?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

bout the only way I know of to fix tire ruts is to refill them with good topsoil/peat moss mixture and re-seed.

You don't want to put a roller on your yard because all you'll be doing is making it essentially a rock which won't let water drain through it.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you could rent one of the small ride on rollers and roll it and then when finished rolling aerate...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

You might be able to pop them up like a divit in a golf green, using a pitch fork, I did it on one cust yard after she had her roof replaced, it got rid of at least half of it in a minute (12 feet long or so)
00'Gravely Pro 150 36" WB w/Kawi 460 and a Jumbo Grass Gobbler
Stihl KM130R(cultivator, straight edger, pole saw, extention)
Stihl KM90R (trimmer, brush cutter, straight hedge trimmer, and a broken curved edger)
'09 Husky 576XP 20" solid tip/28" roller
Stihl BG85
Old 06-17-2010, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Bronk36 View Post
You might be able to pop them up like a divit in a golf green, using a pitch fork, I did it on one cust yard after she had her roof replaced, it got rid of at least half of it in a minute (12 feet long or so)
seems like that would depend on how long they've been there. Anything new and fresh, I'd definitely go with this method. Anything old, I'd say you will probably bite off more than you can chew.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakenShovel View Post
seems like that would depend on how long they've been there. Anything new and fresh, I'd definitely go with this method. Anything old, I'd say you will probably bite off more than you can chew.
The ones down by the burn pile are 4 years old - and, probably about 50 ft long ... the ones near the new minibarn are from a month ago .... i
Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

pitch up the ones by the barn. I think you're just in for reseeding as the simplest method for the ones by the burn pile.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Generally if the ruts were made in a wet area on dirt it is a combination of high spots next to the low spots from the tires. I have fixed such problems by driving over the area with a bobcat with over-tire tracks. It turned the wheel ruts into a lot of track cleat marks which leveled the area without compacting it. I went off of the mowed grass to the weeds to turn around to avoid digging the grass up. As mentioned above rolling is a terrible idea because it crushes the grass in its path and pushes the dirt forward, tearing the roots.