Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2010, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

How much to charge for weedeating?

I have been doing lawn care for quite a few years now. I am 22, and I started working for a local company when I was a teenager. After a few years working there I started working with my Dad in his excavating business in the summer, and I go to college all winter long. For the past few years I have been picking up weed eating jobs myself though. I have one job in particular that I do every few weeks. It is a good 4 hours worth of straight weed eating some very steep banks. I told them to pay me what it is worth to them, and I make $100 off of it. I also have a few others that I do in a similar way. However, now through my Dad's business I have picked up a few more side jobs that will be on the books. I was not sure how to go about charging for it.

The one job in particular took me 6.5 hours of steady weed eating. It was a ditch that was a few hundred yards long and was VERY thick with grass, weeds, and reeds. I actually picked up a Stihl FS130R just to do this particular job (the FS45 wouldn't cut it). I will be using it a lot otherwise so I didn't mind spending the money. I went through about a gallon of fuel, and a lot of string. For the thick parts I used a metal blade to get through the reeds.

What is the right way to figure out a price for this type of weed eating? Most of what I will be doing is thick drainage ditches, retention ponds, and steep banks. All the stuff that no one else wants to do. What should I be charging for this type of work? By the hour? By the job? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd figure it at $45 to $50/hour so about $300.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking between $250 and $300, so that sounds about right.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Simple. you already know how long it takes you so just figure out what your hourly rate is. ours is $60 per hour or $1 per minute.. i bid all my mowing jobs that way and have been pretty successful..

Good luck,
Lawns of Merritt
Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I figured I would charge by the hour, the question was, how much. We were thinking $25 an hour, but I figured that was well below what we should be charging. Seems like the average is anywhere from $50 - $60 according to the replies I got. Thanks again.