Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaf Dumping Equipment Set Up

I am already thinking about how to handle leaves this fall. I put them in my trailer last year, but new equipment this year doesn't allow room. Plus I am tired of raking and blowing it out. Besides using a dump truck, what systems do you guys recommend to get leaves out of your pick-up truck at the end of the day?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I put a pallet in the front of the bed (near the cab) with straps that lead out and hang over the tailgate. One the leaf box is full (I use a leaf loader), I drive to my dump spot, hook the straps around a tree and drive away. the pallet pulls almost all the leaves out and all thats left is to sweep out the remainders. By far the best method I have found yet. You will go through a few pallets because the tend to snap after a lot of use, or when the truck is loaded with wet leaves and debris. Also I use a heavy duty ratcheting tow strap, anything else will snap or the ratchet will break
Old 06-19-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlingner View Post
I am already thinking about how to handle leaves this fall. I put them in my trailer last year, but new equipment this year doesn't allow room. Plus I am tired of raking and blowing it out. Besides using a dump truck, what systems do you guys recommend to get leaves out of your pick-up truck at the end of the day?
I found a little trick this year after 8 YEARS of emptying my 6x12 manually.
Just like yourself I used to just slave away at it until it was empty, with leaves most of the time I'd use the br600 but man...
But it would get rough with brush, especially when it was really loaded, especially in the HEAT!
Oh yes sir!

Now it does take practice, hate to say it but the first time or two could well be epic fails.

What you do is get a long piece of either chain or rope but it has to be strong (at least 3000 pounds test, higher is better).
How long, well at least double the length of your trailer plus another 10-15 feet.
So, then...
Lay one end of it near the gate right dead center of the floor and then lay it down
all down the center to the front of the trailer, drape it over the front.
Now, load the trailer as usual, do watch you don't accidentally brush the rope /chain too much
from where it's laying but once you get an initial load on there it's not bad.

When done, grab the piece of rope or chain that's draped over the front and take it
over TOP of the load back to the gate, leave it there.
Raise gate, secure load, drive to dump site.
FIND an heavy object such as a BIG stump or log, a washing machine might do but it must weigh at LEAST 500 lbs.
Back up to it as close as possible with JUST enough space to lower the gate.
Get out, go to the back, untie your load and lower the gate.

I personally prefer chain because I use clevis hooks on the ends...
Either way take what's left of the rope or chain and secure it around the HEAVY object.
Get in truck, put in gear and SLOWLY!!!
SLOWLY pull away while keeping an eye on whether it's pulling your load off.
Also watch the front of your truck to make sure you don't drive into something.

Once it's off, simply blow off the little that's left, undo the rope / chain and
put it back in truck, head home.

Got my trailer unloaded in this fashion in like 15 minutes the other day,
it still consumes some time but wow is it easy in the sweat department,
best thing next to buying a dump trailer.

Tow straps would probably work as well, hooks on the end sure make securing it to the object a LOT easier.
And it has to be long enough, and STRONG.

Last edited by topsites; 06-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are using a pickup, why not just buy a Loadhandler and make life real simple.