Register free!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Picture of front steps??

Can someone help me out? I am trying to convince a friendly client (i.e. the girlfriend) that a new set of steps out front would be a great idea. My idea is to build steps out of concrete blocks (maybe Techo Mini-Creta, maybe Keystone Verrazo) and then put granite treads on with some type of granite pattern on the platform. I have never built one before thus no picture in my digital portfolio and I can't seem to find an image online. Does anyone have one they could share?? I would be happy to give you full credit for the image.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How about something like this. I designed this for my daughter and son-in-laws house a few years ago. They are the second owners, and the builder had provided a monstrosity made from RR ties which over about a dozen years had become infected with carpenter ants.

The columns, walls and risers are brick, but they could have been natural or manufactured stone. The treads are granite slabs that are typically used for steps.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the response, however, that design is a little more elaborate than what I am planning. That house is a little more elaborate than my house is too! The materials will arrive in time to start on the project this weekend. It is just going to be a small entry, 6' wide with two steps and a 4' landing. I thought about making it wider but wanted to save as much space as possible for plantings. I am going to make the base out of Keystone Verazzo and put 2" granite treads on. I'll let everyone know how it looks when its done.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Woodland,

Here's a few step ideas if you're interested. I've been designing Walkways, patios and stairs for 20 years now, and I think these 3 may be of interest to you! I have more pictures of stairs on my website www.designsbyoneil.com

If you have any questions, or would like some feedback, please feel free to contact me!

-Dan