Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall is officially here!!!

Well fellas, FALL is officially here now. Days are going to start getting shorter and it's going to start cooling of a bit. Don't think grass season is almost over. There's always grass to cut (not as much) but fall season and winter season is where you make your money but less work is involve!!!

What do you fellas think about that???
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have joined Lawnsite a few months ago and rather then posting hundreds of questions and wasting time with replies, I have been simply reading everything and anything. After seeing this post, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post a simple reply.

This has been my first season officially in business for myself. I cut appx. 120 lawns a week and offer all the typical additional services: bush trimmings, aerating, planting, mulching, cleanups etc..I got a bit nervous when I was out cutting my lawns and I noticed this past week that the grass has finally slowed down dramatically. Now, many people say the Fall is a big money making part of the year.

Reading this statement many times, I keep asking myself why would this time of the season be most profitable. I realize I'll have many of my customers calling for cleanups, but I'm not seeing how it equates to big money making. I know I have a lot to learn and I spend every second of free time reading this site to help strengthen and grow my business, but what am I missing about Fall time and the opportunity to bring in more money then past months.

Sorry if this is off topic, but hopefully your suggestions will help me become more profitable as I finish off the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VotteroLandscapeCont View Post
I have joined Lawnsite a few months ago and rather then posting hundreds of questions and wasting time with replies, I have been simply reading everything and anything. After seeing this post, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post a simple reply.

This has been my first season officially in business for myself. I cut appx. 120 lawns a week and offer all the typical additional services: bush trimmings, aerating, planting, mulching, cleanups etc..I got a bit nervous when I was out cutting my lawns and I noticed this past week that the grass has finally slowed down dramatically. Now, many people say the Fall is a big money making part of the year.

Reading this statement many times, I keep asking myself why would this time of the season be most profitable. I realize I'll have many of my customers calling for cleanups, but I'm not seeing how it equates to big money making. I know I have a lot to learn and I spend every second of free time reading this site to help strengthen and grow my business, but what am I missing about Fall time and the opportunity to bring in more money then past months.

Sorry if this is off topic, but hopefully your suggestions will help me become more profitable as I finish off the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I'm saying Fall season is when you still make your money. But it's less grass cutting and hopefully you have contracts with all of your clients. That way the money keeps rolling in even with less grass to cut.

Another way you make more money is the time your not cutting grass your focus is on fall clean-up and other money making ideals!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank God!!!!

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is why we love are 12month contract. We have a couple that get nothing done from November till the end of February. But we also make a lot of money in clean ups
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know where hes going with the good money in fall either Vottero Iv been at this since 1989 and can tell you Fall sucks. It's a pay cut not a raise. I go from steady lawn income from 200 accounts to a short day, 4-5 hours a day less to be exact. Then we are abused by weather and holidays. Light rain your done unless you like mud and instant clogs in the vac. Snow your done till it melts. Wind 20 mph or greater your losing that day as well. In fact my shoreline accounts are untenable at 10 mph because its always windier there. Sudden cold snap now your day just got shorter I can't do clean ups when the ground is harder than asphalt and the leaves are frozen to it. Ill make less in Nov and Dec (our fall clean up season starts around Nov 15-25th) combined than I made just last month for the month of August.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think Kleen Kuts is right. September is historically the month I make the most money. Here's why: not only do I have more customers in September than I do earlier in the year, but also the yards do not grow as fast, thereby making each job a snap. Sometimes the trimming is virtually non-existent. Also the cooler weather makes working a breeze, and requires less breaks. So for us, a schedule that would normally would take us from 7am-6pm now takes us from 7am to 3:30 pm. So not only do I get to pay out less to employees, but it also frees up time to do extra jobs.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's why I learned how to get all the work done in short time, that's how I can leave the house by noon and 7 hours later have 9 jobs done. May not sound very amazing to some but my yards are bigger and spread around three counties it used to take me ALL day to do 8 but now... Once that truck starts it's roll-on until all is done and the only stop is for lunch and better make it enroute and short.

I mean, you guys do start your days with all tanks full of fuel, right?

Yeah, I mean, I don't stop mid-day to refuel, you can forget that.
Once I start it's balls to the wall, my equipment is maintained so it can run ALL day non-stop.
Granted, the handhelds do need fuel every 45-90 minutes of run-time.

Recoil rope on the mower broke today, 15-20 minutes later it was running again.
You do carry recoil rope in the truck, right?
Just saying...

I can definitely attest thou, the shorter days, the wind and the cold slows you down, no doubt about that and I don't care who you are.
Still, practice, practice, don't let a little cool breeze slow up the working day.

What they used to say, we're burning daylight!

Last edited by herler; 09-26-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Yes there is a big difference between having contracts and not having contracts when it comes to fall. Contracts can be really good when you have added the extra hours it takes to do some big leaf jobs accounts. I have no contracts, so like Kelly, I really dislike the fall season aspect of lawn care. Many customers don't want to pay for the extra time it takes to do leaves. You have to get your work done before it gets windy. Soggy leaves add a lot of time. Hours with the blower on your back is no fun. Dirt and dust gets into everything. I used to have many leaf customers, but not anymore, so income is way down. On the positive side, you are still making some money You have to charge extra for leaves. You have to consider the extra cost when making out a contract

Last edited by Charles; 09-26-2013 at 08:21 AM.