Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Just spoke with the client. He said that he waters from 4:30-6:30 AM 2 days a week "as needed". He said that the lawn has done this in the past when the humidity goes up. So im thinking it may be Red Thread that's never been treated or maybe just not enough water.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is just another prime example of why being licensed is no where near enough knowledge to be a professional lawn care applicator.

It seems as if you're just putting down whateverr JDL or some random person from LS tells you to put down.

Why don't you take some classes on turf management or work for somebody willing to teach you.

What do you know about caring for a lawn?
Why are you going to put grub control down? Do you even know if you have a grub problem?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Greenery; 06-22-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are looking at a combination of red thread and dry/droubt damage. The two things become interchangeable. A dry stressed lawn will get insta red thread if the nitrogen is on the low side. If a lwan has red thread..then dries a bit..then he starts watering again...red thread will be much worse. 1. Time to feed 2. Spray with a contact fungicide like chlorotholonil....problem solved.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
This is just another prime example of why being licensed is no where near enough knowledge to be a professional lawn care applicator.

It seems as if you're just putting down whateverr JDL or some random person from LS tells you to put down.

Why don't you take some classes on turf management or work for somebody willing to teach you.

What do you know about caring for a lawn?
Why are you going to put grub control down? Do you even know if you have a grub problem?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was waiting for the Debby Downer on this post.

Being licensed has to do with knowing the laws and regulations. I took a number of turf classes last year and read a couple of books that were suggested on a different post here. After I got my license I didn't start taking on clients until my second year so I could learn before I started. After reading books and taking classes, it comes to a point where you go for it. Out of my clients, this is only one of two that is having an issue. Unlike someone who just applies and drives off, I noticed that there was a problem and I'm addressing it.

When things slow down I plan on taking as many classes as I can to learn as much as I can. My father's been in the landscape business for 30 years and he gave me his opinion on what it could be. I didn't want to just start putting down pesticides without RESEARCHING.

I thought the point of this forum was to ask questions and be pointed in the right direction. Your post helps me in no way. Is it a crime to ask the opinion of people who have been in the business or did you wake up one day and know everything about turf???? Even other members on the post told me to go down to JDL and ask. Seems like I'm on the right track.

FYI, the client wants the grub control for prevention because he had a problem with them in the past. I'm not going to argue with the guy b/c if he gets grubs later I don't want to be his scapegoat.

To the rest of you who have responded, I appreciate you taking the time to help out a fellow applicator.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper23 View Post
Out of my clients, this is only one of two that is having an issue.
One more thing I do know, you can spread this from site to site. But I really don't know how to tell you to wash your equipment and shoes after you have worked on the lawn in question before proceeding to the next site so you don't spread it.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good question--do we spread diseases by going from house to house? I will start a new thread.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
2. Spray with a contact fungicide like chlorotholonil....problem solved.
That, my friend, would be illegal.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chlorothalonil is no longer labeled residential!! Can't use it in this instance.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-D View Post
Chlorothalonil is no longer labeled residential!! Can't use it in this instance.
Uhhmmmmm...your wrong. Daconil was removed...Chlorotholonil is currently in several formulations on everything from turf to vegetables.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I liked to know what Chlorothalonil product has a label for residential turf. I don't think there is one, but if you say there is please point us to it. Vegetable and roses yes, turf, haven't seen that in years.