Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hit by thieves...AGAIN!

Well, last year I lost ALL my equipment you see listed in my signature list below.

Today, we are out mowing at a church of all places. My boy and I were mowing, and he forgot to lock the blower to the trailer, and left it sitting right next to the trailer. Well, someone decided to help themselves to a piece of unlocked equipment while we were mowing the church. So they drove off with it.

Truly pathetic!! This was a used Echo Backpack blower that I had to work on just to get it running. A friend gave it to me, and I did some work for him in exchange (and as a thank you).

Well...its gone now. If you don't think it can happen to you, you may want to start reconsidering your methods of security. Every way I turn, I keep getting kicked in the ...well...u get the point.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand your methodology man. I wish you the best of luck finding your blower, but man seriously. I remember your post from last year. As much money as you've lost to theft, forget locking things up. If someone wants it, they'll take it. But back to what I was saying, as much money as you've lost you could have put gps's on the mowers and mini gps's on the handhelds, truck, trailer, everything you own and you would be out way ahead. It honestly would be a worthwhile investment. Heck, if you have a mower and customers, money isn't hard to come buy. Sweep the sidewalks for a few days, buy you a blower, and install gps's on everything you own as it sounds like theft is bad in your area. My neighbor literally leaves the house and leaves his garage door opened and doors unlocked. If I lived in your area I would have GPS's on my beer cooler.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Where do all these thefts take place? What part of the country/city do these happen. Is this more common than I think (because I'm not anticipating my stuff getting stolen).
Old 04-03-2015, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hit by thieves...AGAIN!

That really sucks. I'd look into the GPS thing
Old 04-04-2015, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I don't understand your methodology man. I wish you the best of luck finding your blower, but man seriously. I remember your post from last year. As much money as you've lost to theft, forget locking things up. If someone wants it, they'll take it. But back to what I was saying, as much money as you've lost you could have put gps's on the mowers and mini gps's on the handhelds, truck, trailer, everything you own and you would be out way ahead. It honestly would be a worthwhile investment. Heck, if you have a mower and customers, money isn't hard to come buy. Sweep the sidewalks for a few days, buy you a blower, and install gps's on everything you own as it sounds like theft is bad in your area. My neighbor literally leaves the house and leaves his garage door opened and doors unlocked. If I lived in your area I would have GPS's on my beer cooler.
Do you have a GPS system for your equipment? If so, what type will work on handheld equipment that isn't visible? IM all ears if someone has something like that.
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger

Old 04-04-2015, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I should expand on my last posting. I have researched the tracking devices, and what I have found are expensive units with expensive data plans.

There is one that I found that will run for one year on regular batteries, and sends updates every hour when movement is detected. Here is the link to the data plan page :
http://www.gotrack.com/gps-tracker-data-plans/

It costs 259.00 annually per device. I want to protect my equipment for sure, but its just not a cost effective solution to the problem. There is no cost effective solution I don't think. I really need some help on coming up with a "plan" on how to cost effectively GPS track my mowers, backpack blowers, trailer, etc.

To track four devices for one year will cost 1000 dollars! So I pay 500 bucks for a new backpack blower, and the another 259 a year to ensure somebody doesn't take what isn't theirs to begin with??

I could really use some help with this guys...is there a package deal out there that will meet my needs? what are yall using to do this? I have put in the research over the winter on different options, but none of them seemed like a good way to go. I was definitely planning on doing the GPS track thing on my next big purchase mower (which wont happen now for another year or so), but I didn't think it was cost effective to put the GPS trackers on equipment that cost less than say 2000 dollars. That was just the number I picked as a crossover point.
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger

Last edited by rbljack; 04-04-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:41 AM

They will steal anything, anywhere and anytime in many areas of the country. Lots of people stealing for drug money or just to pay the bills. This is why I never leave my equipment unsecured. You just cannot forget to lock it up. Don't think you can lay it down and do something else. You will forget. As soon as I get done with the blower and/or weedeater, they are locked down. Just get in the habit of doing that. Try and park your truck/trailer where you can see them. You may have to move them around for big jobs. Doesn't take long to pop a lock with the right tool. PIA, but that is the world we live in
Old 04-04-2015, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I too would be interested in GPS tracking. It seems to be getting popular these last couple years for productivity/efficiency etc. I'm sure there are already threads on it. It sure would be nice to buy the GPS and track it myself without the use of a data plan!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2015, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Get replacement Insurance
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Look into Itrack 2.0. Completely portable as it mounts with a magnet and an be moved from one trailer to another or different mowers. 189.00. Battery last 2monthsbefore needing recharged . Data plan 10.00 for three months no contract, pre pay plan.