Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is to late for the american ZTR , as there is a well known company with the made in the usa label, that uses parts that are made in China and assembled in Thailand .
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It is to late for the american ZTR , as there is a well known company with the made in the usa label, that uses parts that are made in China and assembled in Thailand .
Not if your running a Scag. It has the most American made parts of any brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you for the info my man.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Barnes View Post
Thank you for the info my man.
This is Scag's latest video on the website. Seeing American workers machining deck spindles and wheel mounts is so refreshing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X1PLFVn-c
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
Hate to say this guys, as I own a couple of muscle cars and am as pro-american as any other red blooded american, but we sold a few this year. Let me say we are a Hustler, Walker, redhawk, and Big-dog dealer also. So far, the only problem we have had with the 5 units we sold, is one of the fuse olders went bad, and the fuse that powers up the wiring harness did'nt make contact. One machine is owned by a contractor that cuts foreclosures, so lots of times grass is 2-3 feet high. All mowers have 100-200 hours on them so far. How they will do in another 500 hours remains to be seen, but so far so good. We were selling 25 hp kawasaki's with 60" decks for 6700.00. Big Dogs are the next closest for 7500.00 Only time will tell. They run real pumps and wheel motors, and have bigger hydro reservoirs than Exmark. If you look at them, they are a copy of an Exmark, minus the horizontal engine, which means it's a straight shot for the blade belt, not a mule drive like an Exmark. Sorry to say, but if the US manufacturers don't lower their prices, your gonna see the same thing happen to the mower industry as you saw happen to the car industry. This is coming from a dealer who has only owned GM products since he started driving over 30 years ago.
Lowballers are killing your pricing, you can't be paying more and more for replacement mowers. Do the math. You guys need to band together and keep pricing up, instead of undercutting each other. I was in the Lawn Maintence end for over 15 years before becoming a dealer, and guys are cutting for less today than when I was. Back then, a brand new Wheelhorse CHAIN DRIVE 724 was $5500.00 with a Trac-vac. Now, just a fully loaded Z is almost double, and prices are lower.

Sorry for the rant and off- topic. Now back to the original thread!!
Sharp how are the cobras holding up?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

SO I'm confused the pics of a world lawn cobra look identical to a TORO mower? They have to be making this under some kind of license?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
SO I'm confused the pics of a world lawn cobra look identical to a TORO mower? They have to be making this under some kind of license?
It is similar, yes. But there aren't but so many ways that a mower can look.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
Hate to say this guys, as I own a couple of muscle cars and am as pro-american as any other red blooded american, but we sold a few this year. Let me say we are a Hustler, Walker, redhawk, and Big-dog dealer also. So far, the only problem we have had with the 5 units we sold, is one of the fuse olders went bad, and the fuse that powers up the wiring harness did'nt make contact. One machine is owned by a contractor that cuts foreclosures, so lots of times grass is 2-3 feet high. All mowers have 100-200 hours on them so far. How they will do in another 500 hours remains to be seen, but so far so good. We were selling 25 hp kawasaki's with 60" decks for 6700.00. Big Dogs are the next closest for 7500.00 Only time will tell. They run real pumps and wheel motors, and have bigger hydro reservoirs than Exmark. If you look at them, they are a copy of an Exmark, minus the horizontal engine, which means it's a straight shot for the blade belt, not a mule drive like an Exmark. Sorry to say, but if the US manufacturers don't lower their prices, your gonna see the same thing happen to the mower industry as you saw happen to the car industry. This is coming from a dealer who has only owned GM products since he started driving over 30 years ago.
Lowballers are killing your pricing, you can't be paying more and more for replacement mowers. Do the math. You guys need to band together and keep pricing up, instead of undercutting each other. I was in the Lawn Maintence end for over 15 years before becoming a dealer, and guys are cutting for less today than when I was. Back then, a brand new Wheelhorse CHAIN DRIVE 724 was $5500.00 with a Trac-vac. Now, just a fully loaded Z is almost double, and prices are lower.

Sorry for the rant and off- topic. Now back to the original thread!!
Yes ! I am cutting cheaper, but was not wining jobs at the higher prices.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

NOTHING IS 100% AMERICAN MADE ANY MORE. I buy what my budget can afford. 10,000 for a exmark in not going to happen in my book.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvosburg View Post
NOTHING IS 100% AMERICAN MADE ANY MORE. I buy what my budget can afford. 10,000 for a exmark in not going to happen in my book.
Its not gonna happen at the dealer either. Have you seen the price of the new ones. Its getting out of hand.
Posted via Mobile Device