Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda HRC all the way! We ran 21" push snappers for 25 years and about 6 years ago we switched to the Hondas. There is a world of difference. The Honda's are pretty much bulletproof. They just keep running. We were constantly changing wheel bearings and hangers on the snappers, not to mention replacing work chutes and cracked decks. I was skeptical when we bought the first two Hondas but after comparing the two machines over a 6 month period there was a world of difference and so we phased the Snappers out and bought Hondas. One of the best things we ever did. We have about 16 Hondas.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hanson View Post
Honda HRC all the way! We ran 21" push snappers for 25 years and about 6 years ago we switched to the Hondas. There is a world of difference. The Honda's are pretty much bulletproof. They just keep running. We were constantly changing wheel bearings and hangers on the snappers, not to mention replacing work chutes and cracked decks. I was skeptical when we bought the first two Hondas but after comparing the two machines over a 6 month period there was a world of difference and so we phased the Snappers out and bought Hondas. One of the best things we ever did. We have about 16 Hondas.
What is the model of Honda are you using....I live a block away from my local Honda dealer and would like to deal there. They are not the friendliest bunch, but it would be connievient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenshoes;
Nice to see another Canuck on here Yard-Dawg, I sympathize with the intense spring growth. You'll be happy to know I'm picking myself up an Ariens Pro 21 tomorrow.
What is the price of a new Pro-21...If you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody ever use the Honda HRS2164PDC. This is the cheapest one Honda makes. It's on special for $369 up here in Canada. It can side discharge and mulch and weighs only 62 lbs. Was thinking of trying one out.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my pro21 for $799 shipped.
http://www.wisesales.com/ariens_911271.html
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwost View Post
I got my pro21 for $799 shipped.
http://www.wisesales.com/ariens_911271.html
I think that is a good price but the free shipping in most cases is only in the lower 48.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

currently i'm using a 2005 toro commercial 21. i picked the unit up brand new from my dealer this year for $500. they got a deal on them from toro who had them new in box. they aren't self propelled but the thing cuts excellent, bags great and mulches just about as well.

i'm not sure you could find this same deal on the same machine but if the 2010 models perform at least as well as my 2005 you can't go wrong with a toro commercial 21. and if you use them on all your accounts weekly then the $1500 they normally cost is very justifiable IMO.

i only half about half a dozen places in a weeks time i use a 21 so i would never pay $1500 for one but since i found this one for $500 i snatched it up.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenShoesLC View Post
Nice to see another Canuck on here Yard-Dawg, I sympathize with the intense spring growth. You'll be happy to know I'm picking myself up an Ariens Pro 21 tomorrow.
Tell me why you picked the PRO-21 over the others you tried?

Now that you have used it a little what are your thoughts.

I know that I really like mine and might just buy a second one soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard-Dawg View Post
Tell me why you picked the PRO-21 over the others you tried?

Now that you have used it a little what are your thoughts.

I know that I really like mine and might just buy a second one soon.
I picked the PRO-21 because it outbagged the other models that I demoed. It is very solid, has steel wheels and bearings (nice and durable), comfy handle, it comes with the kawi fj180 that is a complete beast.

The other models I tried were both really good too. You can't knock the Toro Commercial 21 or the Honda HRC. However, the Ariens was at least up to par with both of these machines. At $849.99 it was a steal compared to the Toro for $1499.99 and the Honda for $1349.99.

I've used it for a little while now and I'm happy with my decision. It's bulletproof (although heavy, but hey, all commercials are!), it has great suction and lays down nice lines without a striper (although I'm going to fashion one up for it to use on some of my smaller contracts).

The Kawi 180 is great. has plenty of power and sounds great. I would wear earmuffs though. It's loud. One of the small features that I didn't originally notice was the bumper/carrying handle in front of the engine. It's great for loading (although I use a trailer most often) and if you have a moron using the mower it protects against damage to the engine from impact.

All in all, super hapy with the purchase, would recommend one to anybody.

'02 Dakota SXT V6
'96 F-150 V8 4x4
'10 6x12 CarryOn Utility Trailer
'05 John Deere L118
'10 6HP Ariens LM21
'06 6.5HP Toro Super Recycler 22's
Husqvarna 25R Trimmer
Ryobi S430 4-Cycle Trimmer w/ attachments
Stihl Backpack
Stihl Saws
Poulan Pro Sprayer
WB or ZTR coming soon (recommend something if you like)
Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the commercial Honda 21" push mower. I don't know the ID number but it's the $1200 one.

Biggest waste of $1200 I've ever spent. I should have bought a $400 Lowe's machine three times than to have bought this mower.

Very tough and durable, not too hard to maneuver, cut quality sucks. Leaves mohawks and uncut rows if the fescue is fairly thick. Not what you'd expect from a $1200 push mower.

Did I mention this mower cost $1200?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenShoesLC View Post
Hi All, I'm in need of a good quality 21" push mower.

I've been in the biz for 3 years, I started my own company this Spring. I currently have a 6.5HP 21" Toro Super Recycler GTS that gets daily use on all 15 of my contracts and performs pretty well. (We bag here in Winnipeg in the spring because of the insane amount of growth)

I'd like to know your opinions on a couple different 21's.

I need something that will bag really well, and will mulch decently.

Being from Winnipeg I know that there are almost always better prices if I drive across the border to Grand Forks or Fargo, so I wouldn't object to picking up a new 21 there.

I've used Ariens LM21's in the past and found them to work really well with great bagging performance. (I know these aren't commercial)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Anders Frederiksen
Green Shoes Lawn Care
I don't bag unless I let it over grow which has been happening to me this spring because of all the rain.

I bought a commercial toro 21 from accurate ($1350) I hate how much it costs but it outlasted all my recyclers and super recyclers which are all crap. The only thing is that the bagging system on the heavey duty commercial sucks. It does bag well but emptying it is a pita.

another thing, if you don't buy your mower from a dealer here in winnipeg then it will take them 3 weeks to fix it for you even if you've bought other stuff there. At least that's how accurate is.

Tags
ariens , commercial-grade mower , equipment , mower advice , push mower