Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial Exmark vs Ferris vs Scag

I have these three options and would like your opinion:
Ferris IS3100z (2009 model brand new w/o the new ICD deck), 61" cut; 37 horsepower Kawasaki engine for $10,000.
Exmark Lazer Z, 60" cut; 29 horsepower (can't remember is if was a Kaw or Kohler) for $9,600.00.
Scag Tiger Cat, 61" cut, 27 horsepower Kohler engine for $8,000.

Main concern is durability, smooth ride, and smooth cut. I have about 10 acres of 'yard' I'm keeping up. Some of it is rough terrain. I've demoed the Ferris and it is smoother riding than the Exmark but I'm concerned the Ferris may not be as durable. I have some bahalia grass that can be tought to cut. Here in Mississippi, 80% of the lawn care companies use Exmark.
Would the Michigan suspension seat help on an Exmark? I think the Scag has a suspension seat. The Tiger Cat model is not quite as a commercial grade at the Lazer Z and IS3100Z are but does have a suspension seat on it.
Your opinions are welcome.
Thanks,
Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

i have a exmark lazer z hp with the triton deck. I think it cuts great, but im a little skeptical on durability since i only have 500 hrs on it and have replaced a couple tensions and pullys already. Also my 27hp kohler likes to smoke periodically while im cutting, once it starts it dont stop until its almost out of oil, so i would go with a kawasaki, i have a 1996 snapper walk behind with a 14 hp kaw on it and it starts up on the first pull everytime, also i tested a new scag last year, not sure which model but it had the new deck style and wow did it cut good,
Old 06-25-2010, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Durability - 1-Scag, 2-Exmark, 3-Ferris
Smooth Ride - 1-Ferris, 2-Scag & Exmark same score.
Smooth Cut - 1 Scag, 2- Exmark, 3-Ferris

I would add that the Scag Velocity deck discharges clippings better than most even with wet grass. For your choices I would go with the Scag for less money and wouldn't think twice. If the Scag and Exmark were priced the same then I would lean towards the Exmark for the Kawasaki only.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THG View Post
Durability - 1-Scag, 2-Exmark, 3-Ferris
Smooth Ride - 1-Ferris, 2-Scag & Exmark same score.
Smooth Cut - 1 Scag, 2- Exmark, 3-Ferris

I would add that the Scag Velocity deck discharges clippings better than most even with wet grass. For your choices I would go with the Scag for less money and wouldn't think twice. If the Scag and Exmark were priced the same then I would lean towards the Exmark for the Kawasaki only.
Durability - 1-Exmark [has the best longevity without significant issues] 2-Scag [a very close second] 3-Ferris [not far from the bunch by all reputable accounts]

Smooth Ride - 1-Exmark [the main reason I purchased one] 2-Ferris [actually rides very nicely with low center of gravity and great patented suspension system] 3-Scag [IMHO, there's very little resembling "smooth" about the ride on this cumbersome machine]

Smooth Cut - 1-Scag [it certainly does have a very nice cut and bagging system if that's your MO] 2-Exmark [a nice cut and great bagger - without the right amount of HP - but doesn't excel in the wet] 3-Ferris [excels on hills but very ordinary on wet lawn I'm told]

Good luck in your selection brother.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I've never used a Ferris. I would search on this site. I hear more problems about Exmarks. I love my SCAG. Just maintain the machine and keep on sharp blades and you will be happy. If you like stripes then spend the extra $400 for a striping kit. Unbeatable!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark has the roughest ride in my experience. Ferris and Hustler are among the smoothest riding
Posted via Mobile Device