Low branches
Branches hitting me in the face or pulling my ear protectors off
Humidity
Bugs
Snakes
Mole tunnels and hills
Bermuda grass
No rain for two-three weeks
When you run out of trimmer line at the end of the day with only ten feet of trimming left
When you break down or run out of gas.
Rough yards

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Nothing bothers me, I'm a professional!
"Now I'm sure as hell not going to start calling neighbors of my customers to see if it's ok for me to mow and I really don't think it was unreasonable for me to be there"

I would say this bothered you some.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
"Now I'm sure as hell not going to start calling neighbors of my customers to see if it's ok for me to mow and I really don't think it was unreasonable for me to be there"

I would say this bothered you some.
Hmmm..sounds more like I'm not gonna let it bother me

What I really meant was whatever it is, I just deal with it. Funny, but of all the things mentioned, neigbors crossing the lot line and scalping my account probably bothers me the most. It does allow for a great demonstration to the customer of the importance of proper cutting height though.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got so tired of low hanging tree branches I just started cutting them off myself. Nobody has ever complained yet and if they do so what, fire me.

Rose of Sharon bushes that are way overgrown and have bubble bee's all over them.

Water meter's so deep that when my back tire goes in it causes me to scalp
or have a zig zag stripe.

3 1/2 inch tall tree stumps.

100 foot water hose pulled all the way out across back yard.

Trash- repeat offenders will get some confetti as a hint to pick up your trash
if asking doesn't work.

Dog crap- I mow around what I can see leaving little patches of tall grass nobody has complained and if they do...

The Postal workers that blow their horn because you are parked in front of mailbox and their is nowhere else to park.

Customers that take 15 min to write you a check

It has poured rain for 3 days, day 4 the sun comes out and customer calls asking if im going to cut their lawn today.
Doolittle 7x12 Trailor
Redmax EBZ 8001
Stihl FS90 R Trimmer
Stihl FS100 RX Trimmer
Stihl SH 86 Vac
Kawasaki KHT600D Hedge Trimmer
Magna Matic 9000 Blade Shapener
Magna Matic 1000 Blade Balancer
Old 06-27-2010, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have this old lady I cut for and I kid you not, I rarely ever can even make it through her front yard before she creeps out of the house and flags me down and its always some BS like "Could you throw sticks over the back fence? Could you take your weedeater (I hate the terminology) over this area?, etc. I think some days, she can't find anything extra to ask so she'll flag me down and ask if I'm going to trim after I mow?

It's such a pain to have to disengage the blades, set the parking brake, just to hear this stuff. And to top it off, its always stupid small things so it's not even worth arguing about lol

I mean she really is a nice lady, just really annoying lol.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL.....Wow! I feel like I'm in a club, because I too have to deal with all these things, and here I thought I was the only one lol...

Well, I agree with just about all of what you guys have said, but here are a few that no one has brought up...

#1) How about those darn walk-way lights or what ever they call them... Hard to mow close to them and trimmer tears them up.

#2) Too many darn mulch beds that no matter how you cut, you cant keep clippings out even with blade blocker.

#3) Customers who have deep holes in their yards that unless you remember where they are, you could trip, or like me, once was backing up and turning around with W/B and almost fell on my a$$ while pulling the mower on me...Why do people not fill these?

and on the dog poop issue.....I have gotten so fed up with this, I sent e-mails to them telling them that I am no longer going to deal with excessive dog poop. Either they pick it up or I do but with a charge....My worst one told me that they will pick it up, well that lasted for the first 2 weeks, so now they get charged for mower clean up fee...

and on the ear muff topic....do any of you have the problem with your ears sweating so much while wearing them that they fill up with sweat. I just happened to grab mine the other day the wrong way and they started peeing all over the place. I could not believe how much was in there...and the tunes still work..
Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
LOL.....Wow! I feel like I'm in a club, because I too have to deal with all these things, and here I thought I was the only one lol...

Well, I agree with just about all of what you guys have said, but here are a few that no one has brought up...

#1) How about those darn walk-way lights or what ever they call them... Hard to mow close to them and trimmer tears them up.

#2) Too many darn mulch beds that no matter how you cut, you cant keep clippings out even with blade blocker.

#3) Customers who have deep holes in their yards that unless you remember where they are, you could trip, or like me, once was backing up and turning around with W/B and almost fell on my a$$ while pulling the mower on me...Why do people not fill these?

and on the dog poop issue.....I have gotten so fed up with this, I sent e-mails to them telling them that I am no longer going to deal with excessive dog poop. Either they pick it up or I do but with a charge....My worst one told me that they will pick it up, well that lasted for the first 2 weeks, so now they get charged for mower clean up fee...

and on the ear muff topic....do any of you have the problem with your ears sweating so much while wearing them that they fill up with sweat. I just happened to grab mine the other day the wrong way and they started peeing all over the place. I could not believe how much was in there...and the tunes still work..
I hate constantly telling the guy trimming the spots he is missing.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im definitly adding 2 new fees. the dog poop fee and a new pissed off fee. if i get pissed off at something while working. they get 5 bucks added on.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

None paying customers
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate mowing when the wind is really blowing. The mower ends up plastered with clippings and so do I. You can't cut the entire property and not get blasted at least a few times. I don't know if it's worse when its dry and dusty, or when the grass is green and moist.