Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Just Started

This all started with a Father's day gift. Went to look at a power washer and wife "talked" me in to new lawn tractor. I figured if I got that I would not just waste it on just doing my lawn. I got a 48in Husqvarna. I know it's not a Z or anything but for around here (mostly rural bumpy, rugged and more weeds than grass) I figured this would be better suited, plus the $$$ on the zero turns just didn't fit the budget. Got a Husqvarna trimmer with blower attachment some business cards, business license and I'm ready to go. Going out this morning to pass out some cards and see what I can drum up for the rest of this year. Got a freebie in a local classified publication that comes out next week, hoping to get a few calls on that, Craigslist, and some other free Internet advertising in place. Found this site and you guys have some great advertising ideas and other tips so thought I would just sign in. My short term goal is to have around 5-6 good accounts as I work full time as well. From there we'll just see how it goes. Be talking to you all soon.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why dont you get some insurance, a real blower, a real mower or two, maybe a trailer.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Patsfan,
Thanks for the encouragement. As per my post I'm just starting and looking to do maybe 5-6 mid-size lawns. I will at some point and time try to upgrade to some nicer stuff, right now though this is what I can afford (I've got a trailer by the way). I feel with the equipment I have I can do a very respectable job and give customers a nice cut for their money. Thanks for the "Good luck" DJ
Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

You got to start somewhere I believe the tractor was a good idea then wasting a lot of money on a zero until you really get a feel for the biz and all and simply you are gonna be on mostly resi lawns for now which will do just fine until you move into commercial now I would look into getting a nice back pack blower and a edger attachment but the hardest part is getting and keeping work but good luck I believe you are on the right path
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the best advertising is talking to people, that I have found
Old 11-01-2011, 03:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting with a 50' new lawn tractor. how did that work for you?
let me know
thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Not Long

The tractor didn't last long. I got a few bigger properties and it was obvious that it was not gonna work. I still own it though. I use it for smaller lawns for mulching and bagging. I got a Cub Cadet Recon and a Kubota zg222 as well. You just need to do what works best for you to get started especially financially. It would have been nice to start out with top of the line equipment but I just couldn't do it. Over the last couple of years it has worked into getting some better stuff.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

more than a year? I need to at least make it through this year with it. (working on my credit to be able to finance a exmark walk behind). How do you like the new cub cadet?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

not that long

Didn't make it a year. Not to say you won't but I just picked up some bigger properties a little sooner than expected. The Cub is ok...it cuts good as long as the grass is not overgrown and wet. Key is keeping sharp blades and deck clean. It is a good starter mower as it was around 4500.00 brand new. I know you can buy used for that price but usually older or with a ton of hours. My concern was/is down time. Had two problems with it....one a belt and ignition switch, both times back up next day.