Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just please tell us you have insurance.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't let any negative comments pull you down. In a perfect world, we all start with a brand new commercial zero turn, commercial blowers and trimmers etc. Unfortunately, it is a cruel world and you have to do whatever it takes to get started and make a $. I can tell you first hand that for the most part, none of your customers are going to care about the name on your mower. They are going to care about good work at a fair price.

I started out this Spring with zero accounts, a Cub Cadet RZT and some no name trimmers and blowers. They ALL lasted long enough for me to make a few $$ and get started. I now have a 16ft trailer, 52" Scag Vride, Craftsman 33" walk behind, Stihl trimmer, back pack blower and hedge trimmer and a few other tools I didn't have in the beginning.

You MUST have insurance, end of story. Other than that, load up what you have, go to work, get the job done and make yourself and your customers proud. The rest will fall in place over time if you work hard, be honest, frugal and keep your head clear about what the next move is for you to get ahead.

Depending on where you live, start advertising NOW for snow removal. People will hire you even if all you have is a shovel and a strong back. Buy a used snow blower if you can afford it, as it will make your life and work a little easier. Either way, just get out there and do it! It's a hard job, requires a lot of sweat and long hours, but in the end, you are your own boss and that is worth a lot in my book.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think i paid a little under 3 grand for my cub. i just cleaned the deck for winter. I want to get mulching blades/kit but i dont know what the best blades are? someone told me gator blades suck? let me know what you use? ah those are not to bad of problems.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Insurance

Never put gators on the Cub but on the tractor I use them. I think they are much better....finer cut on trimmings and better in wet. I have insurance by the way. The guy that sold me the cub says high lift gives better cut but I might try a set next year on it and see what happens.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting insurance and LLC over the winter. I do have a snow blower. only do a few older people around me, don't want to be in the situation were i cant get to the property due to my full time job or snow factors. dont have a 4x4 truck. I rather save for commercial mowers for now. How is the commercial craftsman 33' walk behind? i was looking at one of those at sears. Thought that might be a good starter commercial mower? So get high lift blades for my cub cadet lawn tractor? will those mulch as well?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Blades

From what I have seen the Gator blades are better for mulching. The high lift blades per the dealer give a better cut. I'm not sure that is the case. The gator blades cut nice and you get a finer discharge. If you are looking to mulch I would go with the gator blades.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to get a 21' mower. I have a old craftsman 21' that is ready to go. I want to get a commercial HONDA 21' (i heard they last a long time) i found a residential one & commercial honda mower. Tell me what one you like better. (one is push type other is hydrostatic, i want something that will last!) let me know:

1. (residential 899.00) http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...lid=HRX2172HMA

2. (commercial 749.00) http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...lid=HRC2163PDA

Thanks for all the info! I was told by the dealer i got my cub from they are high lift blades, he told me to just get a chute and it will mulch.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well, the cheaper one just looks better built, but I don't know. I am actually looking at 32inch walk behind mowers in the $2100 range. If your interested in what I am looking at let me know and ill pass on the info. I am tired of push mowers, just way to slow.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a toro push and it did the job till I got a 36" toro walk behind. The 36" is big enough to cover small to medium size yards in an ok amount of time. Its biggest factor in choosing it over a bigger mower was that it could fit inside of most of the backyard fence gates making it much faster to get the yards that had a small front and huge fenced back.

Id also probably go with the commercial honda cause it has the commercial warranty. They probably made it to last a little bit better to avoid having to give you a new one with the warranty.