Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Throttle Question?

I have a fairly new (29 hours) 2010 36" Wright Stander. I never paid much mind to the controls, because I just followed the instructions from the guy where I bought it. He said to choke it, pull the cord, once started pull the lever to slow to disengage choke, then push lever to fast (run). Works great. Now enter the wife (it's her mower). She calls me at work and says that the throttle cable doesn't work. She trys to move the lever from fast to slow and it abrubtly moves from fast to slow with nothing in between. No control. I tell her to leave it on fast and mow.
When I get home, I go through the motions and realize that the throttle only controls the mower in one direction. Once the mower is running, the linkage on the mower snaps from choke/fast to slow. Nothing in between. It does move smoothly, though tight from slow to fast.
Is this normal? Almost seems like the cable is way too long and there is lots of play/movement that has to be overcome in the one direction to move the lever.
The mower is under warranty, so it is no big deal. Just wanted to check here first.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Sponsor

tarawa,

Check to make sure the throttle cable isn't slipping in its attachment at the throttle plate on the engine. It is held in place by a "c" shaped piece with a bolt thru the center. If it is moving then set the handle at the slow position make sure the lever on the throttle plate is to the left side loosen the clamp bolt and then retighten it to secure the cable. Also take a look at the throttle plate on the engine and make sure nothing is interfering with the movement of the linkages. Does your throttle cable have the handle that is riveted in place or is it held with a nut and bolt?

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I will check after work, but I believe the throttle control lever is held in place by nuts and bolts. I actually shortened the cable by 6" and although not perfect it controls a little bit better. I will check for interference at the engine next.
Thank You. Love your mowers!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Sponsor

tarawa,

Want to make sure we are talking about the same area on the throttle cable, the cable itself will be held by two screws and nuts, check to see how the lever handle is attached to the plate that attaches the cable to the dash board. On previous versions it is riveted and not adjustable for tension, the current version is a nut and bolt and the lever tension can be adjusted.

Best Regards
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightCommercial View Post
tarawa,

Want to make sure we are talking about the same area on the throttle cable, the cable itself will be held by two screws and nuts, check to see how the lever handle is attached to the plate that attaches the cable to the dash board. On previous versions it is riveted and not adjustable for tension, the current version is a nut and bolt and the lever tension can be adjusted.

Best Regards
Thanks for all the help. I think everything is set correct now. There was just a little binding before.